Physics Tension Question, Need help

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics tension question about a girl swinging on a maypole. The girl has a mass of 36Kg and is moving with a speed of 2.0m/s. The rope makes an angle of 20 degrees with the vertical and the motion of the girl's center of mass is in a circle with a radius of r. The questions asked are: A) What is the vertical component of the tension in the rope? B) What is the horizontal component of the tension in the rope? C) What is the tension in the rope? D) What is the net force acting on the girl? E) What is the radius of the circle? The conversation ends with the person asking for help
alexparker
Physics Tension Question, Need urgent help

A Girl is swinging on a maypole in a playground. The Girl has a mass of 36Kg and, when she is moving with speed of 2.0m/s, the light rope makes an angle of 20 Degrees with the vertical. Consider the motion of the center of mass of the girl, which movies in a circle of radius r

A) What is the vertical Component of the Tension in the Rope?

B)What is the horizontal component of the tension in the Rope?

C)What is the tension in the rope?

D) What is the net force acting on the girl?

E)What is the radius of the circle?

Any Help would be Very Helpful. I did Part A with T=mg and got the correct answer of 360N, but i am stuck with B-E.

Physics news on Phys.org

The vertical component is mg, not T=mg.

The horizontal component is Tcosθ. What is the value of T?

rock.freak667 said:
The vertical component is mg, not T=mg.

The horizontal component is Tcosθ. What is the value of T?

i don't know it doesn't have it, what i wrote down is all the information that we know

alexparker said:
i don't know it doesn't have it, what i wrote down is all the information that we know

When you split the tension into two components, what are they?

Ty=?
Tx= ?

rock.freak667 said:
When you split the tension into two components, what are they?

Ty=?
Tx= ?

sorry buddy but i have no idea, i am completely stumped on this question

alexparker said:
sorry buddy but i have no idea, i am completely stumped on this question

Do you know how to split a vector into its x and y components?

What is tension in physics?

Tension in physics refers to the pulling force exerted by a string, rope, cable, or other object when attached to two points and pulled taut. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

How is tension calculated in physics?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F * cos(θ), where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the direction of the applied force and the direction of the string or cable.

What are some examples of tension in everyday life?

Examples of tension in everyday life include pulling a rope in a game of tug-of-war, stretching a rubber band, or using a pulley system to lift an object.

What factors affect tension in a string or cable?

The factors that affect tension in a string or cable are the magnitude of the applied force, the angle of the applied force, and the properties of the string or cable, such as its length and elasticity.

How does tension affect the motion of an object?

Tension can either accelerate or decelerate the motion of an object, depending on the direction in which it is applied. If the tension force is in the same direction as the motion, it will accelerate the object. If the tension force is in the opposite direction, it will decelerate the object.