Physics question regarding Circular movement and tension

In summary, the conversation involves a girl swinging on a maypole in a playground with a mass of 36Kg and a speed of 2.0m/s. The light rope makes an angle of 20 degrees with the vertical, and the motion of the girl's center of mass is in a circle with a radius r. The questions asked are about the vertical and horizontal components of tension in the rope, the total tension in the rope, the net force acting on the girl, and the radius of the circle. To find the answers, the equations used include trigonometric functions, Newton's second law (F=ma), and circular motion equations. The correct answers are 360N for the vertical component of tension,
slain4ever

Homework Statement

A Girl is swinging on a maypole in a playground. The Girl has a mass of 36Kg and, when she is moving with speed of 2.0m/s, the light rope makes an angle of 20 Degrees with the vertical. Consider the motion of the center of mass of the girl, which movies in a circle of radius r

A) What is the vertical Component of the Tension in the Rope?

B)What is the horizontal component of the tension in the Rope?

C)What is the tension in the rope?

D) What is the net force acting on the girl?

E)What is the radius of the circle?

Homework Equations

trig, f=ma, some circular one

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 360N
b) =131.029N
c) 338.289N
d) ok this is the one I am stuck on at the moment

I'm thinking that i need to use this equation a=(v^2)/(r) but i don't have a clue what r is nor how to get it (which is question e)

thanks for any advice or help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oh i looked at the answers and realized that c) is actually wrong the answer is 380N
what is an equation I can use to work out Tension?

1. What is the difference between linear and circular motion in physics?

Linear motion occurs when an object moves in a straight line, while circular motion involves an object moving along a curved path. In circular motion, the velocity and acceleration of the object are constantly changing due to the direction of motion changing.

2. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. This force is necessary to keep the object moving in a curved path, as it constantly changes the direction of motion.

3. What is the role of tension in circular motion?

Tension is the force that is exerted by a string, rope, or any other flexible object when it is pulled tight. In circular motion, tension is responsible for providing the centripetal force that keeps the object moving in a curved path.

4. How does the radius of a circle affect circular motion?

The radius of a circle is directly related to the speed of an object in circular motion. The larger the radius, the greater the circumference of the circle and the longer the distance the object has to travel, resulting in a higher speed.

5. Can an object in circular motion have a constant speed?

Yes, an object in circular motion can have a constant speed if the magnitude of the centripetal force remains constant. This means that the object is moving at a constant velocity, but its direction is constantly changing, resulting in circular motion.