1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Physics Video ISU Help] Car Crashes.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ive been assigned to create a video about Race Car Crashes, in relation to Physics.

2. Relevant equations
    So far Ive talked about :
    - Newton's Three Law
    - Safety Precautions (HeadRest, Seatbelt, Airbag)
    - Momentum and Impulse
    - Elastic and Inelastic Collisions

What else can I talk about in my video, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Not too sure how many race Cars have airbags!!!!!!

Matters to include would be Helmets, HANS device [Head and neck support] also known as Head Restraint.
    Hopefully you haven't included too much about head on collisions, since race cars all travel in the same direction. Not too many elastic collisions either!

Also why Racing seat belts are so wide - usually 3" where as road belts [and cheaper race belts] are only 2" wide.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    Thanks. Do you have any good resources I could use? Videos/Sites?

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

No. I just watch motorsport on TV and take part in low level motorsport.

If you google, you may be able to find reference to the examples when driver have survived much much more than 10g acceleration [deceleration] in crashes.

For the last 10-20 years, many crash barriers are covered with layers of old car tyres. Obviously for a reason.

Try the FIA site, or Indy car, nascar, WRC, V8 Super Car, Formula1, ... depends what country you are from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook