Physics vs Chemistry: What Do You Prefer & Why?

In summary: Physics is not better or worse than chemistry, it's just different.In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between physics and chemistry and the overlap between the two fields. The speaker prefers physics due to its quantitative nature and the ability to derive observed phenomena from first principles. However, they acknowledge that both fields are important and there is no sense in "fighting" over which is better. The conversation also mentions the relevance of quantum mechanics in physical chemistry and how it helps interpret experimental results. Ultimately, there is no need to argue over personal preferences, but rather to focus on studying and understanding both fields.
Alexander~E=hv
Well i want to see what do you prefer and why?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think they are both great. I prefer physics because it is a bit more quantitative and deals more with deriving observed phenomenon from first principles. There is overlap between the two. Physical chemistry is where chemistry majors get the physics side of chemistry. Organic chemistry is usually considered further from physics.

Are you choosing which science class to take or choosing a major?

I have to know both perfect i just wanted to know because all of my friends prefer chemistry and i prefer physics so every time we "fight".

I was not atracted to physics until one of my friend told me about one theory...(Quantum theory) i was
15 years old and i couldn't understand much ,basically because of maths.So i love quantum mechanics and all my friends keep telling me quantum is chemistry. Can you tell me something that can help me? and why this happens.

There's no sense in "fighting" about it.

Quantum mechanics focuses on the world at very small scales. The tools and principles learned in quantum help physical chemists interpret experimental results. If you're seeing these fields as "rivals", you aren't seeing the whole picture.

There is significant overlap between chemistry and physics, as ModusPwnd mentioned.

Btw, welcome to PF, Alexander~E=hv!

Alexander~E=hv said:
I have to know both perfect i just wanted to know because all of my friends prefer chemistry and i prefer physics so every time we "fight".

I was not atracted to physics until one of my friend told me about one theory...(Quantum theory) i was
15 years old and i couldn't understand much ,basically because of maths.So i love quantum mechanics and all my friends keep telling me quantum is chemistry. Can you tell me something that can help me? and why this happens.

Both physics and chemistry represent a different piece of human knowledge. And both pieces are extremely important. It's of no use fighting about it or to think one is "better" than the other. That's a silly way of thinking. Spend your time studying it instead.

Of course, it can be that somebody prefers chemistry over physics, that's his own preference. One cannot argue over tastes and preferences, it's a useless discussion.

1. What is the main difference between physics and chemistry?

Physics is the study of matter and energy, while chemistry is the study of the composition, properties, and interactions of matter.

2. Which field, physics or chemistry, is more important for understanding the world around us?

Both physics and chemistry are important for understanding the world around us. Physics helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the universe, while chemistry helps us understand the properties and reactions of various substances.

3. Can you provide an example of how physics and chemistry overlap?

The study of thermodynamics, which is a branch of physics, is essential for understanding chemical reactions and processes. For example, the laws of thermodynamics explain why some reactions are exothermic (release heat) and others are endothermic (absorb heat).

4. Which field, physics or chemistry, requires more math?

Physics typically requires more math than chemistry. While both fields use math extensively, physics deals with more complex and abstract concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and vector analysis.

5. Which field, physics or chemistry, has more practical applications?

Both physics and chemistry have numerous practical applications. Physics has applications in fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine, while chemistry has applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and environmental science.