PhysicsForums T-shirts: Raise Revenue & Show Your Pride!

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
In summary, I think a good way to raise revenue for hosting/server fees would be to sell PhysicsForums.com t-shirts. I'd buy one, and wear it loud and proud. Unless they cost like $35, then I wouldn't.
mgb_phys said:
An alternative if you can think of some funny slogans, rather than just a PF logo is thinkgeek. They might be prepared to make a run of "funny slogan + PF logo" and are generaly cheaper and more widely known than cafepress.

I heart the thinkgeek t-shirt slogans.

Physics news on Phys.org
junglebeast said:
Not necessarily,

lower prices may translate into more sales- --> more street presence --> more members --> more subscriptions --> world domination
I did say "unless plenty of shirts sell"

mgb_phys said:
You don't have a lot of choice with cafepress. The basic cost of the shirt+printing is $20 you can add any markup you like on top of this but you can't go cheaper unless you want to a bulk order, but then you have to handle the distribution.

An alternative if you can think of some funny slogans, rather than just a PF logo is thinkgeek. They might be prepared to make a run of "funny slogan + PF logo" and are generaly cheaper and more widely known than cafepress.
I could see thinkgeek possibly having a relationship with PF. Of course I have no idea what the guys who run it are like so who knows.

I didn't realize shirts at CafePress were so expensive. :-/

Where's my t-shirt? I'm going to keep bring this thread up every year or so until I get one.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I could see thinkgeek possibly having a relationship with PF.
They rely on selling a few (probably <100) of each shirt printing so can be cheaper

I didn't realize shirts at CafePress were so expensive. :-/
Cafepress are about the same as the T-shirt printing place in your local mall they pretty much do one-off on-demand and so are expensive.
If you have a logo as an image file the shop in the mall will do you a shirt for about the same price, or you can get T-shirt transfer paper at Staples for 50c/sheet and try it yourself.

I'd like to see some ideas for designs, just for fun...anyone care to try their art skills?

I live right around the corner from Tees+Plus, a really good T-shirt (etc) printer. They did a great job producing our robotics team shirt this year. Since I was able to go there in person, several issues could be taken care of immediately. 72 shirt came to $5.70 each.

Let me know If I can assist in this thread.

lisab said:
I'd like to see some ideas for designs, just for fun...anyone care to try their art skills?

I nominate Zoob, if he's willing. :approve:

Here is a little something I whipped up. I hope you like:

physicsforums.jpg

:tongue2:

Dembadon said:

Seconded!

MotoH said:

physicsforums.jpg

Dembadon said:
I'll take one by Zoob abnd onbe of MotoH's, but it should say "hot guys".

MotoH said:

physicsforums.jpg

That's great :biggrin:!

Evo said:
I'll take one by Zoob abnd onbe of MotoH's, but it should say "hot guys".

How about "hot nerds"? Or "hot geeks"? "Hot nerdy geeks"?

I'm sure zoobyshoe could do something really neat with just this:
[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/theme/Prime_Logo.gif

I'll take two.

Last edited by a moderator:
It needs Zz's avatar next to it or bracketing it somehow...

[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/theme/Prime_Logo.gif

Attachments

• Zz.jpg
    Zz.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 526
Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's a good idea. How many avatars are there here on PF? Maybe a T-shirt with all the mentors avatars to start. And a new shirt design each year.

10 char

Attachments

• shirt.jpg
    shirt.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 408
That's brilliant, Dave. Did you do that? The only element of that t-shirt that troubles me is how the word "fwap" could be interpreted. Because I know what immediately sprang to my mind when I saw it. Now, yes, I realize you mean the fish, but still. "Thwak", maybe instead? Because otherwise, people could very well be led to believe the PFers do bizarre things with fish, presumably, while alone. Or worse, when not alone.

Ahahaha! I love it Dave!

I agree with Georgina, Thwack, might be better.

GeorginaS said:
That's brilliant, Dave. Did you do that? The only element of that t-shirt that troubles me is how the word "fwap" could be interpreted. Because I know what immediately sprang to my mind when I saw it. Now, yes, I realize you mean the fish, but still. "Thwak", maybe instead? Because otherwise, people could very well be led to believe the PFers do bizarre things with fish, presumably, while alone. Or worse, when not alone.
Better?

Does FWAP have some special meaning of which I am unaware?

[EDIT omg. I had no idea.]

Attachments

• shirt.jpg
    shirt.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 567
DaveC426913 said:
Better?

Does FWAP have some special meaning of which I am unaware?

[EDIT omg. I had no idea.]

Oh gosh yes. That's lovely.

And, in response to the edit: see?

DaveC426913 said:
... Does FWAP have some special meaning of which I am unaware? ...

I was ignorant of its meaning as well. :bugeye:

Love the shirt, though.

We've always had these

Attachments

• 1762790v3_480x480_Back_Color-White.jpg
    1762790v3_480x480_Back_Color-White.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 388
  • 303586233v2_480x480_Front_Color-LightPink.jpg
    303586233v2_480x480_Front_Color-LightPink.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 364
You should have a black t-shirt with the words physics forums in green blue and white on the top right pec/breast. I think that would be classy, and I'd buy one.

You could do in the center (and bigger letters) too.

Cyrus said:
You should have a black t-shirt with the words physics forums in green blue and white on the top right pec/breast. I think that would be classy, and I'd buy one.

You could do in the center (and bigger letters) too.

Chalk me up for a black on as well and I'm in for at least one. Hoodies are nice too. :wink:

Edit: Just Googled 'fwap'... wow.

Greg Bernhardt said:
We've always had these

Okay, truly, Greg, do those exist? If so, where do we get them?

And, also, how do y'all not know what "fwap" means?

GeorginaS said:
Okay, truly, Greg, do those exist? If so, where do we get them?

And, also, how do y'all not know what "fwap" means?

How do you know what "fwap" means?

MotoH said:

I was wondering the exact same thing... I had to go look it up on urbandictoinary.com LOL. Who the heck says that?

You must trust urbandictionary.com though it's 100% accurate. I mean how can I argue with this:

1. kevin
basicilly a kid with a &*^% &*(). looks great, smells great, and all the ladies want him. great at sports also. great sense of humor.
Gee i am so jealous of Kevin, with three girls around his arm.

How is kevin good looking and smart at the same time?.

3. kevin
a male that performs great intercourse on a female
the other night my boyfriend performed "kevin" on me

So far pretty much every definition I read of my name is SPOT ON. (no joke!)

Here's the best one which may or may not be true,
7.kevin
someone who has probably porked your mom

Love my name shirt collection:
http://www.zazzle.ca/custom_urban_dictionary_tshirt_light-235245270191392084

EDIT: I noticed that you can't read what it says on the shirt I chose in the link, it's a shame though, because it's a pretty cool shirt.

MotoH said:

Years of hanging out on gaming message boards populated by adolescent and teenaged guys. :biggrin:

Saladsamurai said:
Chalk me up for a black on as well and I'm in for at least one. Hoodies are nice too. :wink:

Edit: Just Googled 'fwap'... wow.

Yeah...there's a word for *everything*.

GeorginaS said:
Years of hanging out on gaming message boards populated by adolescent and teenaged guys. :biggrin:

Lol that's weird, I would have considered myself as a teenage guy who played video games and I had never heard this word befoe hahahaha.

You play wrong games perhaps.

GeorginaS said:
...how the word "fwap" could be interpreted. Because I know what immediately sprang to my mind ...
Evo said:
...I agree with Georgina, Thwack, might be better.
lisab said:
Yeah...there's a word for *everything*.
Stop it! You girls do not know of such things, and certainly don't think about them. You're all 22 and too dedicated to bother yourselves with smut.

zomgwtf said:
Lol that's weird, I would have considered myself as a teenage guy who played video games and I had never heard this word befoe hahahaha.

Oh no, not "video games", MMORPGs. Had to troll the boards to know where to find all of the oober loot and trade and organise quests and whatnot. All very serious stuff.

And yes, I am/was going through a second childhood. Or maybe I'm just getting around to going through it now. I was a very precocious child. :wink:

Lol yeah, I used to play MMORPGs all the time, until the turks invaded and I couldn't understand a thing :/. I still play counterstrike and that stuff ... no mention of FWAP! hahahahahahaha.

weirdest thing I've ever seen you say Georgina. Just because I perceive you as ... "older"...