Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PIC Start Up Practice Tips

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    I have just started to look into PIC ALP coding. i am also fortunate to work on one the PIC controllers, though i am responsible for hardware design only, i want to develop some firmware knowledge.
    If such a question has been answered previously please give me the link, or your precious suggestions are welcome.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2
    oops i missed the question..
    how can i get started with PIC programming and how is it going to help my career?
  4. Jun 24, 2008 #3
    micro programming knowledge is pretty transferable, so starting on pic or atmel mc's is much of a muchness. basically, pick up a couple of mc's, a development board (the arduino is good and, if you build it yourself, cheap), and some basic components. build a 5V power supply (you'll just need a 7805 and some caps), connect the mc to power / ground / isp as indicated by the datasheet, plug in your isp cable and serial cable, and then have a play with the code. try something basic first - like, "turn on pin 1". have a led hooked up to it so you can tell that it works.

it's very useful as a skill, though i don't know how much consumer micros are used in industry. embedded systems programming in general is huge, though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?