Getting Started with PIC Microcontrollers: Tips and Tricks for Beginners

• Thread starter Chandra214
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking into PIC ALP coding and wanting to develop firmware knowledge. They are asking for suggestions on how to get started with PIC programming and how it can benefit their career. The other person suggests picking up a couple of microcontrollers, a development board, and some basic components to practice with. They also mention that embedded systems programming is a valuable skill in the industry.
Chandra214
Hi,
I have just started to look into PIC ALP coding. i am also fortunate to work on one the PIC controllers, though i am responsible for hardware design only, i want to develop some firmware knowledge.
If such a question has been answered previously please give me the link, or your precious suggestions are welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
oops i missed the question..
how can i get started with PIC programming and how is it going to help my career?

micro programming knowledge is pretty transferable, so starting on pic or atmel mc's is much of a muchness. basically, pick up a couple of mc's, a development board (the arduino is good and, if you build it yourself, cheap), and some basic components. build a 5V power supply (you'll just need a 7805 and some caps), connect the mc to power / ground / isp as indicated by the datasheet, plug in your isp cable and serial cable, and then have a play with the code. try something basic first - like, "turn on pin 1". have a led hooked up to it so you can tell that it works.

it's very useful as a skill, though i don't know how much consumer micros are used in industry. embedded systems programming in general is huge, though.

1. What is the purpose of PIC Start Up Practice Tips?

PIC Start Up Practice Tips are designed to provide guidance and best practices for setting up and programming PIC microcontrollers. They help ensure that the microcontroller starts up smoothly and functions correctly.

2. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using PIC Start Up Practice Tips?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include not properly configuring the oscillator, not setting the correct power supply voltage, and not properly connecting the reset pin.

3. How can I test the functionality of my PIC microcontroller after following the Start Up Practice Tips?

The best way to test the functionality of your PIC microcontroller is to use a debugger or emulator. This allows you to step through your code and check each instruction as it is executed.

4. Can the PIC Start Up Practice Tips be applied to all PIC microcontrollers?

While the general principles and guidelines outlined in the Practice Tips can be applied to most PIC microcontrollers, it is important to always consult the specific datasheet for your microcontroller as there may be slight variations in the setup process.

5. Are there any resources available for further learning about PIC Start Up Practice Tips?

Yes, there are many online resources, forums, and tutorials available for further learning about PIC Start Up Practice Tips. You can also refer to the official documentation and datasheets from the manufacturer for more in-depth information.