Picture combinations too low ?

In summary, according to the author, there are 4.8521x104876 different possible combinations for a 45x45 pixel image with a color depth of 8 bits.
john.phillip
I would like do estimate the total number of different pictures I can represent by choosing a specific resolution and color depth, the number I'm getting seems somewhat low, so I'm wondering what am I doing wrong ?

Let the picture size be 45x45pixels with a color depth of 8 bits (2^8 = 256 different colors).
So 45x45=2025 total pixels. Each pixel can have 1 out of 256 colors assigned with repetition (for example, I can have a white image) and the order is important (for images which at least 1 pixel have a different assigned color) but reflected images could be discarded. I'm including an example to give size perception.

Therefore, the total number of combinations will be 2^8^2025 = 4.8521x104876

I was expecting a much larger number, one current processors could not calculate directly, any thoughts ?

Attachments

• example_45x45x256.gif
    example_45x45x256.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
The image you give is an *indexed* gif: there are only 256 total colors, but there are 2^24 colors to choose from. So there are (2^24 choose 256) ≈ 3 × 10^1342 different palates, and each palate has 256^2025 possibilities, for roughly (2^24 choose 256) × 256^2025 ≈ 1.9 × 10^6219 total pictures. (It's not exact because some pictures with different palates are the same, but the difference is small since most pictures will use all the colors.)

Is that small? I don't know. For comparison, there are 10^20 to 10^30 specks of dust on the Earth and about 10^80 particles in the universe, so it's certainly large compared to anything physical. But there are 10^4279358 ways to play the "choose a million friends on Earth" game, so it's small compared to that.

Last edited:
You are right, 256 colors were choosen from a larger palette, so this should be considered.

I think I'm feeling it is a small number, because the subject in the attached example could be photographed under slightly different angles, magnifications and lighting conditions and that would create a very large combination, but probably small compared to the total pixel\pallete combinations you calculated.

So, considering that at this resolution each pixel is insensitive to the camera movement, when this movement is smaller than, let's say 2mm in anyone of the three directions, one could draw a sphere with the center on the subject focal plane and the radius towards the camera sensor. If the radius is known, it is possible to distribute a finite number of points on the imaginary sphere surface, where each point represents the sensor position. Given a maximum and minimum range for the sphere radius, one could calculate the total number of different pictures that could be taken. Now I have the sense that this number is really insignificant if compared with the total estimated combinations for this resolution.

With this in mind, I'm starting to feel what would be the probability of generating one specific variation of the picture by rendering a random sequence of pixel colors.

I'm satisfied, thanks for your time.

1. Why are picture combinations too low?

Picture combinations may be too low because the sample size or number of observations is too small. This can lead to insufficient data to accurately represent the population being studied.

2. How does having picture combinations too low affect research results?

Having picture combinations too low can lead to biased or inaccurate research results. This is because a small sample size may not be representative of the entire population and can result in misleading conclusions.

3. What are the consequences of using picture combinations that are too low?

The consequences of using picture combinations that are too low include unreliable research findings, inability to detect significant relationships or differences, and difficulty in generalizing the results to the larger population.

4. How can I increase the number of picture combinations in my research?

To increase the number of picture combinations in your research, you can use a larger sample size, recruit more participants, or use a different sampling technique. You can also consider using statistical methods to analyze the data and account for the small sample size.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule of having enough picture combinations?

There may be certain cases where having a small number of picture combinations is acceptable, such as in qualitative research or when studying rare phenomena. However, in most cases, having enough picture combinations is crucial for valid and reliable research results.