Piecewise function question

In summary: It looks to me as if \lim_{x\,\to\,1}(f(x) + c\,g(x))=2 if c = 2. Otherwise, f(x) + cg(x) is not continuous.However, f(1) = 4, and g(1) = 0, so no matter what value you use for c, f(1) + cg(1) = 4.
BifSlamkovich

Homework Statement

With reference to this graph:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/deletemev.jpg/

Is the value of c that makes lim x->1 [f(x) + c g(x)] exist equal to the same value of c that makes f(x) + c g(x) continuous at x = 1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

They're the same, right, because the value of c that makes the lim x->1 of f(x) + cg(x) exist is the same as the value of c that makes f(x) + cg(x) continuous at x=1? Or could I be wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is a basic theorem of limits that [itex]\lim_{x\to a}(f(x)+ cg(x))= \lim_{x\to a}f(x)+ c\left(\lim_{x\to a} g(x)\right)[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, it is a basic theorem of limits that [itex]\lim_{x\to a}(f(x)+ cg(x))= \lim_{x\to a}f(x)+ c\left(\lim_{x\to a} g(x)\right)[/itex].

I'm referring to the continuity of a certain function, not the applicability of limits to an expression.

BifSlamkovich said:

Homework Statement

With reference to this graph:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/deletemev.jpg/

Is the value of c that makes lim x->1 [f(x) + c g(x)] exist equal to the same value of c that makes f(x) + c g(x) continuous at x = 1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

They're the same, right, because the value of c that makes the lim x->1 of f(x) + cg(x) exist is the same as the value of c that makes f(x) + cg(x) continuous at x=1? Or could I be wrong??
Look again. What is f(1) + c g(1) ? I'm not saying it's Yes, or No, just that it doesn't necessarily follow.

SammyS said:
Look again. What is f(1) + c g(1) ? I'm not saying it's Yes, or No, just that it doesn't necessarily follow.

f(1) + cg(1) from the left side has to equal f(1) + cg(1) from the right side in order for the lim x-> 1 to exist, i.e., an appropriate value of c has to be determined. But idk if it's the very same value that makes the function, f(1) + cg(1), continuous at x=1, because continuity has 3 criteria:
1. the function is defined at x=1, which I think it is
2. lim x-> 1 of f(1)+cg(1) exists, which I think it does because the piecewise discontinuities are filled and unfilled
3.lim x-> 1 f(1) + cg(1) = f(1) + cg(1), which seems to be the case because there is no removable discontinuity.

So I would be inclined to think that the function f(x) + cg(x) is indeed continuous at x=1, but I could be wrong.

BifSlamkovich said:
f(1) + cg(1) from the left side has to equal f(1) + cg(1) from the right side in order for the lim x-> 1 to exist, i.e., an appropriate value of c has to be determined. But idk if it's the very same value that makes the function, f(1) + cg(1), continuous at x=1, because continuity has 3 criteria:
1. the function is defined at x=1, which I think it is
2. lim x-> 1 of f(1)+cg(1) exists, which I think it does because the piecewise discontinuities are filled and unfilled
3.lim x-> 1 f(1) + cg(1) = f(1) + cg(1), which seems to be the case because there is no removable discontinuity.

So I would be inclined to think that the function f(x) + cg(x) is indeed continuous at x=1, but I could be wrong.
It looks to me as if [itex]\lim_{x\,\to\,1}(f(x) + c\,g(x))=2[/itex] if c = 2. Otherwise, f(x) + cg(x) is not continuous.

However, f(1) = 4, and g(1) = 0, so no matter what value you use for c, f(1) + cg(1) = 4.

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different equations or rules for different parts of its domain. This means that the function is split into different "pieces" or segments, each with its own specific equation or rule.

2. How do I graph a piecewise function?

To graph a piecewise function, you first need to identify the different pieces or segments of the function and their corresponding equations or rules. Then, plot each segment separately on the same set of axes. Make sure to pay attention to any restrictions or conditions for each segment, and use different colors or styles to differentiate between them.

3. What is the domain of a piecewise function?

The domain of a piecewise function is the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. This may vary for different segments of the function, so it is important to consider the domain for each individual piece. The overall domain of the piecewise function is the combination of all the individual domains.

4. How do I find the range of a piecewise function?

To find the range of a piecewise function, you need to determine the output values for each piece or segment of the function. Then, combine all the output values to determine the overall range of the function. It is important to note any restrictions or conditions for each segment that may affect the range.

5. Can a piecewise function be continuous?

Yes, a piecewise function can be continuous. This means that the function has no gaps or jumps in its graph, and can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper. However, this is not always the case as some piecewise functions may have discontinuities at the points where the different segments meet.