1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piecewise Rectilinear Motion Integration

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1

LNH

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that a particle moves along a line so that its velocity v at time t is given by
    5t, if 0≤t<1
    (6(t)^(1/2))-(1/t), if 1≤t
    where t is in seconds and v is in centimeters per second (cm/s). Estimate the time(s) at which the particle is 4 cm from its starting position.

2. Relevant equations
    s(t)=∫v(t)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Took antiderivative of velocity piecewise function, resulting in:
    s(t)=(5/2)t^2, if 0≤t<1
    s(t)=4t^(3/2)−ln(|t|), if 1≤t
    Solved first part of piecewise function for 4, resulting in t=((2)(10)^(1/2))/5)≈1.2649, which is out of the domain of this part of the piecewise function. I do not know how the second part of the piecewise function would be solved for 4.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have not taken the anti-derivative correctly! You forgot the "constant of integration".

If v= ds/dt= 5t for t between 0 and 1, then s= (5/2)t^2+ C. If v= ds/dt= 6t- (1/t) for t> 1 then s= 3t^2- ln(t)+ D, where "C" and "D" are constants. Since the distance function is continuous (an object cannot "jump" from one location to another) the function must be contiuous: at t= 1, s(1)=(5/2)(1)^2+ C= 3(1)^2- ln(1)+ D so 5/2+ C= 3+ D. C= D+ 1/2.

Is the object able to go 4 cm from its starting point in the first second? If so we would have to have s(t)- s(0)= ((5/2)t^2+ C)- C= (5/2)t^2= 4. Then t^2= 8/5 which is larger than 1. No, the object cannot go 4 cm in the first second.

For t larger than 1 the object will be 4 cm away when, s(t)- s(0)= 3t^2- ln(t)+ D- C=3t^2- ln(t)+ D- (D+ 1/2)= 3t^2- ln(t)- 1/2= 4 or 3t^2- ln(t)= 9/2. That cannot be solved "analytically" and will have to be solved using a numerical method.

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3

LNH

How is the "3t^2" obtained? I expected "4t^(3/2)" because (1/2)+1=(3/2).

5. Mar 26, 2014 #4

LNH

Bump. I thought the integration for a variable raised to a power is to add one to the exponent and divide the coefficient by this exponent. Thus, I do not understand how 3t^2 could be obtained.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted