Calculating Coefficient of Kinetic Friction on an Incline

• Thread starter Filip89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, a pig slides down a 40.1 ° incline in twice the time it would take to slide down a frictionless 40.1 ° incline. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the pig and the incline is mg*sin(A).
Filip89
I'm having a hard time figuring out the equation for this problem:
A pig slides down a 40.1 ° incline in twice the time it would take to slide down a frictionless 40.1 ° incline. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the pig and the incline?

Can somebody please help me I'm drawing a blank over here

Physics news on Phys.org
Filip89 said:
I'm having a hard time figuring out the equation for this problem:
A pig slides down a 40.1 ° incline in twice the time it would take to slide down a frictionless 40.1 ° incline. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the pig and the incline?

Can somebody please help me I'm drawing a blank over here

Welcome to the PF. What are the equations for the frictionless/greased pig scenario? How is the Free Body Diagram (FBD) for the pig modified when there is friction?

We don't do you work for you here at the PF. Please show us your work so we can help you more...

Can you get an expression for the time it will take to slide down without friction? Of course it depends on how high or long the ramp is, so you'll have an h or something in the answer.

If the unknown letters are bothering you, I suggest you begin with a ramp that is 2 meters high and figure out the acceleration and time. Perhaps you will make a diagram of a block on the ramp with the force of gravity vector on it, then find the component of this force that is along the ramp causing the block to accelerate. Then do the same thing again, only put an h in place of the 2.

That's the problem though, they gave me nothing but the angle of the incline and the fact that the pig goes twice as slow with the friction. I am assuming that the equation for the frictionless pig is mgsin(theta) with m= mass, g=gravity. But i don't have mass so I have no idea what to do

By the way, I appologize for putting this question in the wrong forum I saw "college physics" underneath the advanced physics part so I instantly just went that way without thinking twice

"mgsin(theta)" looks good, but an equation needs an equal sign: what is that expression equal to? Can you draw a diagram of the slope with the force of gravity vector and this mg*sin(A) vector showing? If you do it in a paint program and post it we can help you much more easily. The best approach is to upload the diagram to a site like photobucket and then give us the link to it.

FAQ: Calculating Coefficient of Kinetic Friction on an Incline

1. What is friction and why is it important to solve friction problems?

Friction is the resistance between two surfaces when they come into contact and move against each other. It is important to solve friction problems because it can affect the efficiency and performance of machines and processes, as well as cause wear and tear on surfaces.

2. How do you calculate friction?

Friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the relative motion between the surfaces.

4. How can friction problems be solved?

Friction problems can be solved by reducing the coefficient of friction, increasing the surface area in contact, and using lubricants to decrease the amount of resistance between the surfaces.

5. What are the practical applications of solving friction problems?

Solving friction problems has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, transportation, and manufacturing. It helps to improve the efficiency and performance of machines, reduce energy consumption, and prevent damage to surfaces.