Pin assignments for ADC / DAC

• Thread starter EEbubba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adc Pin
In summary, when using the TLC0820AC 8-bit ADC, the CS pin should be connected to a "chip select" line from the microcontroller, the INT pin should be connected to an interrupt pin on the microcontroller, the Mode pin should be set with a digital output line, the OFLW pin should be connected to a digital input line to indicate overflow conditions, and the RD and WR/RDY pins should be connected together to coordinate data transfer between the ADC and microcontroller.
EEbubba
Hello,

I am building my senior design project and need some help with the pin assignments for the 8-bit ADC --TLC0820AC (TI instruments). I've taken a look at the data sheet. Which has helped out some.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlc0820a.pdf

The pins that I'm troubled with are the following: CS (chip select), INT (Interrupt), Mode, OFLW, RD and WR/RDY.

The data sheet states that a pin may be low or high... Is there a typical setup that I can use, whatever that may be.

Right now, I'm just testing the ADC and a DAC before I build my complete circuit...seeing if what I put in is what I get out, etc. The software that I'm using only has generic ADC/DAC and not any "real world" ones that I can test.

thanks in advance

EEbubba

Any help on this would be much appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
For the CS pin, this needs to be connected to a "chip select" line from your microcontroller or other logic device. This is usually a digital output that can be set high or low. When low, it tells the ADC that it's enabled and should begin taking readings.The INT pin is an interrupt output from the ADC. It is used to signal to the microcontroller when new data is available. This will typically be connected to an interrupt pin on the microcontroller.The Mode pin allows you to configure the ADC for single-ended or differential operation. This is usually set with a digital output line from the microcontroller.The OFLW pin is an open drain output. This is used to indicate overflow conditions in the ADC. This should be connected to a digital input line on the microcontroller.The RD and WR/RDY pins are used for data transfer between the ADC and the microcontroller. The RD pin is a digital input from the microcontroller, and WR/RDY is a digital output from the microcontroller. These two pins should be connected together, as they are used to coordinate the data transfer.

Hello EEbubba,

I am happy to assist you with your pin assignments for the 8-bit ADC TLC0820AC. The data sheet is definitely a helpful resource for understanding the pin functions. For the CS (chip select) pin, this is used to select the device for communication. You can set this pin to either a logic high or logic low depending on your setup. The INT (interrupt) pin is used to signal when the conversion is complete. This can also be set to either a high or low state. The Mode pin is used to select the mode of operation for the ADC, such as single-ended or differential. This will depend on your specific application. The OFLW pin is used to indicate when an overflow has occurred in the conversion. This can be set to either high or low depending on your needs. The RD and WR/RDY pins are used for reading and writing data to and from the ADC. These can also be set to either high or low depending on your setup.

In terms of a typical setup, it will depend on your specific project and what you are trying to achieve. I recommend consulting with your project advisor or other experts in the field for guidance on the best pin assignments for your particular application.

In the meantime, it is great that you are testing the ADC and DAC before building your complete circuit. This will help ensure that your design is functioning as expected. If you are unable to find "real world" ADC and DAC options in your software, you can try simulating different scenarios to see how the ADC and DAC respond.

I hope this information helps and I wish you all the best with your senior design project.

1. What is the purpose of pin assignments for ADC / DAC?

Pin assignments for ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter) and DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) are used to determine the specific input and output pins on a microcontroller or integrated circuit. These pins are responsible for converting analog signals to digital signals, or vice versa, and the correct pin assignments ensure proper communication between the ADC/DAC and the rest of the circuit.

2. How do I determine the pin assignments for my ADC / DAC?

The pin assignments for ADC / DAC can usually be found in the datasheet provided by the manufacturer of the microcontroller or integrated circuit. It is important to carefully review the datasheet to ensure that the correct pins are used for input and output, as well as any other necessary connections for proper functioning of the ADC/DAC.

3. Can I use any pin for ADC / DAC?

In most cases, no. The datasheet will specify which pins are designated for ADC / DAC functionality and these are the only pins that should be used for this purpose. Using incorrect pins can result in incorrect readings or damage to the circuit.

4. Are there any special considerations for pin assignments with multiple ADCs / DACs?

Yes, if you are using multiple ADCs or DACs in your circuit, it is important to pay attention to the pin assignments for each individual component. This will ensure that each ADC/DAC is properly connected and can function without interference from the other components.

5. Can I change the pin assignments for my ADC / DAC?

In most cases, no. The pin assignments for ADC / DAC are usually fixed by the manufacturer and cannot be changed. However, some microcontrollers may have the ability to configure certain pins for ADC/DAC functionality, so it is important to consult the datasheet for your specific device.