1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pinball spring problem help me please!

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ball launcher in a pinball machine has a spring that has a force constant of 1.10 N/cm (Fig. P5.71). The surface on which the ball moves is inclined 10.0° with respect to the horizontal. If the spring is initially compressed 6.00 cm, find the launching speed of a 0.100 kg ball when the plunger is released. Friction and the mass of the plunger are negligible.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2008 #2
    Have you been able to make a start on this at all? Can you at least identify the relevant equations? You have to show some initial effort or you might not get much help here.

4. Jan 15, 2008 #3
    PE= mgy
    KE=1/2mv^2
    PE=1/2kx^2

i know the problem has got to be set up using PE1=KE2+PE2, but I'm at a loss of which equations will work correctly. I've tried a couple and my velocities are all over. Any help would be appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?