Pinball spring problem help me please

• Thread starter pc21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the question is asking for the launching speed of a ball in a pinball machine with a given force constant and incline angle, assuming negligible friction and plunger mass. Relevant equations include potential energy (PE=mgy), kinetic energy (KE=1/2mv^2), and the spring potential energy equation (PE=1/2kx^2). The problem can be set up using the equation PE1=KE2+PE2, but the correct equations must be used to find the velocities.
pc21

Homework Statement

The ball launcher in a pinball machine has a spring that has a force constant of 1.10 N/cm (Fig. P5.71). The surface on which the ball moves is inclined 10.0° with respect to the horizontal. If the spring is initially compressed 6.00 cm, find the launching speed of a 0.100 kg ball when the plunger is released. Friction and the mass of the plunger are negligible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been able to make a start on this at all? Can you at least identify the relevant equations? You have to show some initial effort or you might not get much help here.

PE= mgy
KE=1/2mv^2
PE=1/2kx^2

i know the problem has got to be set up using PE1=KE2+PE2, but I'm at a loss of which equations will work correctly. I've tried a couple and my velocities are all over. Any help would be appreciated.

1. What is the "Pinball spring problem"?

The "Pinball spring problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the force required to launch a pinball from a spring-loaded launcher. It is often used as an example in introductory physics courses to demonstrate the principles of energy and force.

2. How do I solve the "Pinball spring problem"?

To solve the "Pinball spring problem", you need to know the mass of the pinball, the distance the spring is compressed, and the spring constant (a measure of how stiff the spring is). You can then use the formula F = kx, where F is the force applied by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed. This will give you the force needed to launch the pinball.

3. What units are used in the "Pinball spring problem"?

In the "Pinball spring problem", the mass of the pinball is usually given in grams or kilograms, the distance the spring is compressed is given in meters, and the spring constant is given in newtons per meter (N/m). The resulting force will be in newtons (N).

4. What are some common mistakes when solving the "Pinball spring problem"?

One common mistake when solving the "Pinball spring problem" is using the wrong units. It is important to make sure all units are consistent and to convert them if necessary. Another mistake is forgetting to account for the gravitational force acting on the pinball. You may need to subtract the weight of the pinball from the force calculated by the spring to get the actual force needed to launch it.

5. How can I use the "Pinball spring problem" in real life?

The "Pinball spring problem" can be applied to real-life situations, such as calculating the force needed to launch a rocket or a ball from a catapult. It can also be used to design and optimize spring-loaded devices, such as toys or sports equipment. Understanding the principles behind this problem can also help in understanding more complex concepts in physics, such as potential and kinetic energy.