Calculating Pion Desintegration Angle & Energy

• Thread starter atomqwerty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pion
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle and energy of two photons produced from the disintegration of a pion moving at 0.98c. The relevant equations mentioned include E = K + m0c2, relativistic momentum, kinetic energy, and the energy-momentum equation. The relevance and potential use of these equations in solving the problem is also discussed.
atomqwerty

Homework Statement

A pion that is moving at 0.98c, desintegrates producing two photons that form both of them the same angle with the direction of the initial pion. Find the angle and the enrgy for the photons. (Pion mass: 135 Mev/c2)

Homework Equations

E = K + m0c2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found that the energy for the pion is 678,4 Mev. Now if I apply the conservation of energy, (or conservation of momentun), I'm confused, because a photon has no mass, right?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that equation is relevant? (It's true - but why is it relevant?)

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you think that equation is relevant? (It's true - but why is it relevant?)

I think that provides the expressionn for the energy for each particle, that wiould be necessary for the conservation of energy. Is that correct?

It's not relevant.

What other equations have you been studying recently?

Vanadium 50 said:
It's not relevant.

What other equations have you been studying recently?

relativistic momentum p = γm0v

Kinetic energy K = m0c22-1)

Equation energy - momentum E2-(cp)2 = (m0c2)2

and I think that's all

OK, so which of these might help?

Vanadium 50 said:
OK, so which of these might help?

Uhm, maybe Equation energy - momentum? Ut can be a problem to be solved with the conservation of momentum/energy...

What is a pion desintegration angle and energy?

A pion desintegration angle and energy refers to the angle and energy at which a pion particle breaks apart into smaller particles.

Why is it important to calculate the pion desintegration angle and energy?

Understanding the pion desintegration angle and energy can provide insights into the fundamental properties of pion particles and their interactions with other particles. This information is crucial in fields such as particle physics and nuclear physics.

How is the pion desintegration angle and energy calculated?

The pion desintegration angle and energy can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the initial and final states of the pion particle and the conservation of energy and momentum.

What factors can affect the pion desintegration angle and energy?

The pion desintegration angle and energy can be affected by factors such as the type of pion particle, the energy of the parent particle, and the presence of other particles or forces during the desintegration process.

What are some applications of calculating the pion desintegration angle and energy?

Calculating the pion desintegration angle and energy has many practical applications, such as in medical imaging, where pions can be used to study the internal structure of materials and biological tissues. It is also important in understanding the behavior of pions in high-energy collisions, which is relevant in fields such as nuclear energy production and astrophysics.