Pipe Climbing Device: Calculating Force, Motor & Time Needed

• Thread starter donenow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe
In summary: So 3 meters in total minus the height of the device which is 20cm.This is correct, the chain needs to be carried up 3 meters.
donenow
Hi I got a physics question and would like you to help me abit urgent. I have a device that has to climb a pipe of 105mm in diameter. I have the basic concept of my device I just need to know a few things, the device has 4 wheels acting on the inside wall of the pipe it has to climb up 2.5 meters then come down pulling a chain of 0.2 kg/m the tube is set 0.5 meter above the ground, so the chain will need to be carried up all the way to the top. So 3 meters in total minus the height of the device which is 20cm. The chain is attached to the bottom. Wheel is 9mm

1. What force should the wheals act on the inner
2. what motor is right to be used to pull the device and the chain, the device weight roughly 370 g without the motors. Thanks you

Attempt at solution
Total weight of chain and device is 0.2kg x 2.8m = 0.56kg
Adding the device weight of 370g to 560g we total to 0.93kg

Well with two motors on two wheels, I can calculate the force acting down on the device which is force= mass x gravity
F = 0.93kg x 9.81
F= 9.12 N
So there fore I need two motors producing more force than 9.12N to create an upward force, therefore
If I have a motor attached to a wheel of 9mm in diameter. And when I buy I motor I am given the angular velocity (w), and the torque (t)
So if torque = force x radius of wheel x sin90
And I have torque and radius then rearranging the equation to get force upwards is
Force = torque/ (radius x sin90)
So now I have force acting upwards and I can get a good enough motor to have a higher force acting upwards than downwards.
The motor I buy will have the info of the torque and angular velocity
So to get a tangent velocity on a position on a wheel
Tangent velocity = radius of circle x angular velocity

Having the tangent velocity in rad/sec can I work out the time it takes for the wheel to travel up to the top, and is there any thing a posing the velocity to decrease it if so how do can I calculate it and what is it. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure how you plan to do this with only four wheels. What is the geometrical relationship between them when in the pipe? Are their centres all in the same horizontal plane or all in the same vertical plane?
Other than that, what you have posted looks fine. The main loss will be in rolling resistance (losses in deformation of tyres). Since you have to maintain enough lateral force to prevent slipping, that could be significant.

Hello Done, and welcome to PF. Nice "Introductory Physics Homework" you are posting here. Apparently you missed the instructions obliging you to use the template, for your sake and for the sake of potential helpers.

Well, it is clear you are in a big hurry. So much that it has become very difficult for someone a bit further away to understand what this is all about. (Meaning: if you can find someone close by to help you, it might go faster; a teacher or his/her assistant).

I am going to spend some time trying to decode your story. But I am not going all the way, because I am almost certain I get lost very quickly.

it has to climb up 2.5 meters then come down pulling a chain of 0.2 kg/m
So clearly the chain is attached to the device after it has climbed up these 2.5 m. Correct ? Probably not. Does it jhave to go up and down with this chain attached ? How pointless, but who knows ...

Just to wake you up: "Wheel is 9mm" can be interpreted in several ways. Do you really want to waste your time by not telling what this means ? Please go through your story once again and make sure it is crystal clear. We want to understand you as best we can; don't make it too difficult. And if you have some drawing it will save you 1000 words.

BvU said:
So clearly the chain is attached to the device after it has climbed up these 2.5 m.
No, I believe it is to go up and come down, both with the chain attached.

I would rather hear that from Done, so we all save time.

BvU said:
I would rather hear that from Done, so we all save time.

It's there in the OP, twice:
pulling a chain ... The chain is attached to the bottom
the chain will need to be carried up all the way to the top

1. How does a pipe climbing device work?

A pipe climbing device works by using a motor to move a set of gripping arms along a vertical pipe. The gripping arms have a frictional surface that allows them to hold onto the pipe and move upwards as the motor turns them. The motor is controlled by a computer or other control system, which determines the necessary force and time needed to climb the pipe.

2. What factors affect the force needed for a pipe climbing device?

The force needed for a pipe climbing device is affected by several factors, including the weight of the climbing device itself, the weight of any payload it is carrying, the angle of the pipe, and the surface condition of the pipe (e.g. smoothness, dirtiness, etc.). In addition, the force needed will also depend on the speed at which the device is climbing and the efficiency of the motor.

3. How is the force needed for a pipe climbing device calculated?

The force needed for a pipe climbing device is calculated by determining the total weight of the device and any payload, and then factoring in the angle and surface condition of the pipe. The force can then be adjusted based on the desired speed of climbing and the efficiency of the motor. This calculation can be done using various mathematical formulas or through computer simulations.

4. How is the motor of a pipe climbing device selected?

The motor of a pipe climbing device is selected based on the specific requirements of the device, such as the weight it needs to carry, the speed at which it needs to climb, and the efficiency needed. Different types of motors, such as DC or AC motors, can also be chosen based on their capabilities and compatibility with the device's control system. Additionally, the motor should be able to handle the calculated force needed for the device to climb the pipe.

5. How is the time needed for a pipe climbing device determined?

The time needed for a pipe climbing device to reach a certain height can be determined by dividing the distance to be climbed by the speed of the device. The speed of the device can be adjusted by controlling the motor and the force applied. However, the actual time taken may vary depending on the surface condition of the pipe and any unexpected obstacles that may be encountered during the climb.