Soil Pressure Calculation for Leaning Pisa Tower

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving polar coordinates and the pressure exerted on the soil by the Pisa tower. The question asks for a simplified approach to solving the problem, with suggestions such as setting @ to 90 degrees and using torque equations. The tutor's approach involves double integrals and taking moments, but a simpler method is suggested to solve for the constants c1 and c2. The conversation ends with a request for specific numbers to try out the method and a plan to consult a physics teacher for further clarification.
SVG84R
ok the question goes sth like this,an equation of p=c1+c2*r^0.625cos@,where p is the pressure exerted on the soil,c1 & c2 are constant to be determined,r& @ are polar coordinates.(@ measured fr the x-axis which is of direction south)
now the question states that pisa lean at an angle of 5.6degree towards the south from the vertical.other values such as weight and measurements are given.however i have no idea how to approach this question.
i tried setting @ as 90 degree,so that the pisa is vertical.hence pressure is given by weight over its area,thus c1 can be determined.however this is flawed and do not concure with the results given by my tutor.Hence this approach is not viable.
The tutor appoach was complex and i simply do not understand.Owing to the fact that when the pisa tower leans,the pressure when it exerts on the soil is varying across its base.hence some forms of intergral is used.The tutor makes use of delta-a=delta-r * delta-@,where a in this case i reckoned is the area swept out when the tower leans onto her sides.Then there are double intergral ivolved,which i had no idea.He too,take moment about some point.(This question came out from a mechanics book,so we assume that the pisa tower is at equilibrium)
can anyone here suggest a simpler approach to tackle such problems??any imput in appreciated,thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd also start by making @=90, so that you get p=c1 + c2, with p being known from F/a.

We'd need one more equation for c1 and c2 to actually solve them, so I'd assume that when the Pisa tower is at 5.6 degrees, it's at equilibrium, and I'd set the torque from the pressure of the floor equal to the torque from gravity.
Torque from gravity is simple, you just need the center of mass.
On the other hand, the pressure torque would be harder. You'd have to integrate your pressure function with respect to r, and multiply that by the total area to get your net torque from pressure.

Then set the two equal to get a second equation for c1 and c2, combine that with yoru first equation for c1 and c2, and you should get them.

Of course, without the numbers, I'm not sure if this method works.
If you posted the numbers, I could try it out.
Also, I'll ask a friend who teaches physics to see if he can give a definite method of solving this problem.

hmm,why the torque from the pressure is equal to the intergral of pressure wrt to r?
in my tutor solution,he intergrate pressure wrt to area,and the right hand side he intergrate wrt to both the angle and the term r.Thats a double intergral at the right hand side.

1. How is soil pressure calculated for the Leaning Pisa Tower?

The soil pressure for the Leaning Pisa Tower is calculated by taking into account several factors such as the weight of the tower, soil properties, and the angle of inclination. Engineers use complex mathematical equations to determine the distribution of soil pressure along the foundation and walls of the tower.

2. Why is soil pressure important for the stability of the Leaning Pisa Tower?

Soil pressure is crucial for the stability of the Leaning Pisa Tower because it helps to counterbalance the weight of the tower and prevent it from toppling over. If the soil pressure is not calculated correctly, it can lead to uneven weight distribution and increase the risk of collapse.

3. How does the angle of inclination affect soil pressure calculation for the Leaning Pisa Tower?

The angle of inclination plays a significant role in soil pressure calculation for the Leaning Pisa Tower. As the tower leans, the distribution of soil pressure along the foundation and walls changes, making it necessary to consider the angle of inclination in the calculations to ensure stability.

4. What are some challenges in calculating soil pressure for the Leaning Pisa Tower?

One of the main challenges in calculating soil pressure for the Leaning Pisa Tower is the lack of accurate information about the soil properties and conditions at the site. Another challenge is the complex geometry of the tower, which requires advanced mathematical models to accurately calculate soil pressure.

5. Can soil pressure be adjusted to correct the leaning of the Pisa Tower?

No, soil pressure cannot be adjusted to correct the leaning of the Pisa Tower. The tower is a historical monument, and any attempts to change the soil pressure or alter its structure would not only be ineffective but also damage the integrity of the tower. Instead, engineers have implemented various stabilization measures to prevent the tower from leaning further.