Piston-Cylinder Concept Help

• Thread starter bartersnarter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, there seems to be a discrepancy between the textbook answer and the actual PV diagram. The PV diagram for process B should be y=1/x, not y=ln(x), and the 450kJ is a puzzle.
bartersnarter

Homework Statement

A gas contained in a piston-cylinder assembly undergoes two processes, A and B, between the same end states, 1 and 2.
State 1: P1 = 1 bar, V1 = 1 m3, U1 = 400 kJ
State 2: P2 = 10 bar, V1 = 0.1 m3, U1 = 450 kJ
Process A: Constant-volume process from state 1 to a pressure of 10 bar, followed by a onstant-pressure process to state 2.
Process B: Process from 1 to 2 during which the pressure volume relation is PV = constant.
Kinetic and potential effects can be ignored.

Homework Equations

U = Q - W
PV = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, I have trouble grasping the concepts. In a prior physics class I remember learning that PV = constant is representative of an isothermal process. This means that there is no change in temperature. No change in temperature also means that there is no change in internal energy. How then is process B possible? I've done all the math and I've gotten the right values, but I don't understand the logic. I also don't understand how to draw a PV diagram for such a process. My first guess was just a curve similar to y = ln(x), but apparently the solutions show a curve that looks like a quarter ellipse. I imagine this has something to do with the first predicament.
Here is the textbook's answer for the PV diagrams. Process A is simple, I understand that, but why does process B look like a quarter ellipse instead of a y = ln(x) curve?
fq8GuOa.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it should be y=ln(x)? The chart is linear-linear, not log-linear.
But I disagree with the curve shown also. Look at the point (accidentally) marked B. The PV there is about 6.

Ah, I'm sorry, I meant y = 1/x, not y = ln(x).

bartersnarter said:
Ah, I'm sorry, I meant y = 1/x, not y = ln(x).
Yes, I'd agree with that. So the graph is wrong, and the 450kJ is a puzzle. Maybe it's not to be considered an ideal gas, though I've no idea whether such a discrepancy is realistic.

1. What is the piston-cylinder concept?

The piston-cylinder concept is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas in a closed system. It states that if one of these variables is held constant, changing either of the other two will result in a linear relationship.

2. How does the piston-cylinder concept work?

The piston-cylinder concept works by using a piston to compress or expand a gas inside a cylinder. When the piston moves, it changes the volume of the gas and, according to Boyle's Law, this causes a corresponding change in pressure. By controlling the movement of the piston, the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas can be manipulated.

3. What are some applications of the piston-cylinder concept?

The piston-cylinder concept is used in various applications such as internal combustion engines, refrigeration systems, and steam engines. It is also used in laboratory experiments to study the behavior of gases under different conditions.

4. How is the piston-cylinder concept related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, is a combination of the piston-cylinder concept and other gas laws, such as Boyle's Law and Charles's Law. It describes the relationship between the four variables of pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), gas constant (R), and temperature (T) for an ideal gas in a closed system.

5. What are some limitations of the piston-cylinder concept?

The piston-cylinder concept is based on ideal gas behavior and does not take into account real-world factors such as intermolecular forces and non-ideal gas behavior. It also assumes that the cylinder walls are perfectly insulated and that there is no energy loss during compression or expansion, which may not be the case in practical applications.