Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pitting and Crevice corrosion

1. Dec 30, 2018 #1
    Hi all,
    I am trying to understand how the process of either crevice or pitting corrosion works (I believe they are quite the same)
    I understood the part of how they start and what enhances them or how they can be prevented, but I can't understand an actual scenario.
    Say for example we have stainless steel in a water solution;
    1. From which elements and to which elements do the electrons travel?
    2. With which elements does the water react? -> and does it always change to hydrogen and hydroxide?
    3. How does hydrogen increase the acidity?
    4. Why does the steel where the corrosion take place always become the anode?
    I would really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2018 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 30, 2018 #3
    I am actually in my final year of the degree (mechanical engineering) however materials was never my strong point :sorry:
    I did read that information before and I also watched a number of videos on pitting/crevice corrosion, however I couldn't find a suitable example explanation.

A summary of what I know (will focus on Crevice):
    • the fact that the crevice needs to be big enough for the corrodent to enter but small enough to remain stagnant,
    • the fact that crevices trap pollutants, moisture, and excludes oxygen (not entirely sure about the oxygen however to be honest, since it is required for corrosion to take place)
    • the oxide layer formed between the metal and oxygen to stop electron flow
    • this layer can be broken by mechanical means like scratching
    • and in order for crevice corrosion to take place 2 factors are important:
      1. drop in potential into the crevice
      2. and the chemical composition of electrolyte
    As you can see what I know (assuming it is correct) is only the theoretical aspect, I don't know how it would actually happen.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?