Pivoting Cylinder Homework: Find Angular Acceleration

• Thread starter gonzalo12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the problem involves a solid cylinder pivoting on a frictionless bearing with a string wrapped around it. The task is to find the angular acceleration of the cylinder, given the mass of the cylinder and the string. The relevant equation is torque = I(alpha) and the attempt at a solution involved solving algebraically, resulting in (2mR)/(MR^2 - 2mR^2). However, there seems to be a mistake in the solution as it is not producing the correct answer.
gonzalo12345

Homework Statement

M, a solid cylinder (M=1.63 kg, R=0.119 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder with a mass m = 0.830 kg is hung from the string, find the angular acceleration of the cylinder.

http://lc2.mines.edu/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/20_Rot2_E_Trq_Accel/graphics/prob16b_002masspulley2.gif

Homework Equations

torque = I(alpaha)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve the problem algebraically, and got (2mR)/(MR^2 - 2mR^2) but I keep getting it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gonzalo12345 said:
I tried to solve the problem algebraically, and got (2mR)/(MR^2 - 2mR^2) but I keep getting it wrong.

Show us what you tried, and then we'll be able to see where the mistake was. :smile:

I would like to provide a response to the homework problem. Firstly, it is important to note that the given information is not sufficient to solve the problem as it does not mention the force applied to the string or the moment of inertia of the cylinder.

However, assuming that the force applied to the string is known and the moment of inertia of the cylinder can be calculated, the angular acceleration can be found using the equation torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration.

To calculate the moment of inertia of the cylinder, we can use the formula for a solid cylinder rotating about its central axis, which is I = (1/2)*M*R^2, where M is the mass of the cylinder and R is its radius.

Once the moment of inertia is known, the equation can be rearranged to solve for the angular acceleration, which would be alpha = torque / I.

In conclusion, to find the angular acceleration of the cylinder, we need to know the force applied to the string and the moment of inertia of the cylinder. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately solve the problem.

1. What is a pivoting cylinder?

A pivoting cylinder is a cylindrical object that is free to rotate around a fixed axis or pivot point.

2. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, or how quickly the rotational speed of an object is changing.

3. How do you find the angular acceleration of a pivoting cylinder?

The angular acceleration of a pivoting cylinder can be found using the formula α = (F * r) / I, where α is the angular acceleration, F is the net force acting on the cylinder, r is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, and I is the moment of inertia of the cylinder.

4. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

5. How does a pivoting cylinder relate to real-world applications?

A pivoting cylinder can be found in many real-world applications, such as the suspension system of a car or the rotating blades of a helicopter. Understanding the angular acceleration of a pivoting cylinder can help engineers and scientists design and optimize these systems for better performance and safety.