Pivoting Stick Angular Acceleration and Force Calculation

• Thread starter anap40
  • Start date
In summary, a uniform stick of mass 1.3 kg and length 2.3 m is pivoted at one end and released horizontally with a frictionless pivot. Using torque and rotational inertia, the angular acceleration is found to be 8.53 rad/s^2. For the force exerted by the pivot, Newton's 2nd law is used to find a force of 9.81 N minus the acceleration of the center of mass.
anap40
[SOLVED]Pivoting Stick

Homework Statement

A uniform stick of mass M = 1.3 kg and length L = 2.3 m is pivoted at one end. It is held horizontally and released. Assume the pivot is frictionless. Find the angular acceleration (in rad/s) of the stick immediately after it is released.

Continuation: Find the magnitude in Newtons of the force Fo exerted on the stick by the pivot immediately after it is released.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1377/prob06azg9.gif

Homework Equations

torque=Ia

The Attempt at a Solution

I set T=Ia
t=1.15(1.3)(9.81)=14.67
I=mr^2=1.3(1.15)^2=1.72

14.67=1.72a
a=8.53rad/s(s)

It tells me that is the wrong answer

For the second part, shouldn't the force be 0?(0is not the right answer)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anap40 said:
I set T=Ia
t=1.15(1.3)(9.81)=14.67
OK.
I=mr^2=1.3(1.15)^2=1.72
Not OK. What's the rotational inertia of a thin rod about one end? (When analyzing rotational motion, you can't treat an extended body as if its mass were concentrated at its center of mass.)

Ah, thanks, using I =1/3mL^2 I get the correct answer.

So for the second part is the force=9.81(1.3)-6.39(1.15)(1.3)

or in other words the force on the rod it it was not connecting to a pivot point, minus the acceleration of the rod while it is connected to the pivot point?

EDIT: i just put in my answer as caclulated above and it was correct.

thanks Doc Al for the Help

Cool. The way to think of the second part is just to apply Newton's 2nd law to the vertical direction:
F - mg = ma
(where a is the acceleration of the center of mass, which you can figure out from the first answer)

Related to Pivoting Stick Angular Acceleration and Force Calculation

1. What is a pivoting stick?

A pivoting stick is a simple machine that consists of a rod or stick that is able to rotate or pivot around a fixed point, called the fulcrum. This allows for the transfer of force and motion from one end of the stick to the other, making it useful for various tasks and experiments.

2. How does a pivoting stick work?

A pivoting stick works by utilizing the principles of leverage and torque. When force is applied to one end of the stick, the fulcrum acts as a pivot point, allowing the stick to rotate around it. This creates a mechanical advantage, as the force applied at one end is amplified at the other end.

3. What are some examples of a pivoting stick in everyday life?

Some common examples of a pivoting stick in everyday life include see-saws, scissors, and crowbars. Pivoting sticks are also used in many tools and machines, such as wrenches and pliers.

4. How is a pivoting stick different from a lever?

A pivoting stick and a lever are essentially the same thing, as both use a fulcrum to pivot and transfer force. However, a lever typically refers to a longer stick or bar, while a pivoting stick can be any size or shape.

5. What are the advantages of using a pivoting stick?

The main advantage of using a pivoting stick is that it allows for the amplification of force and motion, making it easier to perform tasks that require a large amount of force. It also allows for precise control and direction of the force being applied, making it useful in many scientific experiments and projects.