Planck's constant got from experiment lower than accepted value

In summary, the conversation discusses the results of a photoelectric experiment using the PASCO Model AP-9368 mercury lamp. The stopping potential values obtained at different times were found to vary, resulting in different estimates of Planck's constant. Possible explanations for this inconsistency include experimental uncertainty, limitations and bias of the equipment, and user error. It is noted that these results are not expected to contribute to new findings in physics.
lkl1226

Homework Statement

I did a photoelectric experiment using the PASCO Model AP-9368 mercury lamp. The stopping potential I got was very low: 1.476V for ultra violet, 1.303V for violet, 1.181V for blue, 0.788V for green and 0.707V for yellow. And the Plansk's constant I got from this set of values was about 4.005e-34J.s which is nowhere close than the 6.626e-34J.s

But when I did this experiment again about four days later, the stopping potential values I got changed: I got 1.964V for ultra violet, 1.686V for violet, 1.488V for blue, 0.840V for green and 0.728V for yellow. And this time the Planck's constant was 6.184e-34J.s which is better.

And after another two days when I did it again, the stopping potential values changed again to the lower ones. I checked the battery for the apparatus and the battery level was the same all three times. Could anyone please give me an idea why this is happening? I'm so confused? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Experimental uncertainty and inaccuracy due to limitations and intrinsic bias of the equipment is always a good bet. User error is another possibility. hard to tell without looking at the experimental set up.

Don't worry about Introductory Level Physics labs. During your UG course you will not be expected to find anything new in Physics.

dauto said:
Experimental uncertainty and inaccuracy due to limitations and intrinsic bias of the equipment is always a good bet. User error is another possibility. hard to tell without looking at the experimental set up.

Thank you for the ideas. The experiment set up is like the image below.

Attachments

• photoelectric.jpg
    photoelectric.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 829

I understand your confusion and concern about the fluctuation in your results for Planck's constant. It is important to note that experimental results can vary due to a number of factors, including experimental error, environmental conditions, and even human error.

It is possible that your first set of results were affected by some unknown source of error, resulting in a lower value for Planck's constant. However, the fact that your subsequent experiments yielded values closer to the accepted value suggests that the initial results were not entirely accurate.

It is also important to consider the precision and accuracy of your experimental setup. The PASCO Model AP-9368 mercury lamp may have some limitations in its ability to accurately measure stopping potential, which could also contribute to the variation in your results.

In order to improve the accuracy and reliability of your results, it is important to carefully control and monitor all variables in your experiment, and to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistency. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with your instructor or a more experienced researcher to troubleshoot any potential issues with your experimental setup.

In conclusion, while it is normal for experimental results to vary, it is important to critically evaluate and analyze your data to ensure the most accurate and reliable results. Keep in mind that science is a continuous process of discovery and improvement, and it is through careful experimentation and analysis that we are able to refine our understanding of the physical world.

Related to Planck's constant got from experiment lower than accepted value

1. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted by the symbol h, is a fundamental constant of nature that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is a key concept in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How is Planck's constant measured?

Planck's constant is typically measured using the photoelectric effect, which involves shining light of a known frequency onto a metal surface and measuring the resulting electrons that are emitted. By varying the frequency of the light and measuring the energy of the emitted electrons, the value of Planck's constant can be calculated.

3. What is the accepted value of Planck's constant?

The accepted value of Planck's constant is 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds (J·s). This value was determined through numerous experiments and is considered to be a fundamental constant of nature.

4. Why might an experiment yield a lower value for Planck's constant than the accepted value?

There are a few possible reasons for an experiment to yield a lower value for Planck's constant than the accepted value. One possibility is that there were errors in the experimental setup or measurements. Another possibility is that the sample used in the experiment was not pure, leading to inaccurate results.

5. What are the implications of a lower value for Planck's constant?

A lower value for Planck's constant would have significant implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It could potentially lead to the development of new theories and models to explain the observed phenomena. However, it is important to thoroughly validate any new experimental results before making significant changes to accepted values of fundamental constants.