1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane determined by intersecting lines

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the point of intersection of the lines: x=2t+1, y=3t+2, z=4t+3, and x=s+2, y=2s+4, z=-4s-1, and then find the plane determined by these lines.

2. Relevant equations
    How do i find the plane determined by these lines?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ive read through the text, and i figured out the first part about where they intersect:
    v=<2,3,4>
    Pt. A=(1,2,3)
    2(x-1)+3(y-2)+4(z-3)=0
    2x+3y+4z=20
    then i substituted the 2nd parametric equation into the x,y,z variables and solved for s.
    s=-1
    then i plugged s=-1 back into the parametric equation to find x,y,z for intersection
    the equations intersect at (1,2,3)

Now i'm stuck...how do i find the planes determined by these lines?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The equations of your lines are x= 2t+ 1, y= 3t+ 2, and z= 4t+ 3. If x= 2t+ 1= 1, then t= 0 so y= 2 and z= 3. Also x= s+ 2= 1 for s= -1 and then y= 2(-1)+ 4= 2, z= -4(-1)- 1= 3. Yes, the two lines intersect at that point.

But v = <2, 3, 4> is a vector pointing in the direction of the first line- it is NOT perpendicular to the plane which is what you need. (In fact, since the lines lie in the plane, <2, 3, 4> is a vector in the plane, not perpendicular to it.)

The coefficients in the parametric equations give vectors <2, 3, 4> and <1, 2, -4> which point in the directions the lines and so are two vectors in the plane. You want a vector perpendicular (normal) to the plane. Take the cross product of those two vectors.

4. Aug 28, 2010 #3
    The standard equation for a plane is [tex] a(x - x_0) + b(y - y_0) + c(z - z_0) = 0, [/tex] where [tex] \vec{n} = <a, b, c> [/tex] is the normal vector to the plane. Now, if you know two vectors (the direction vectors of your 2 lines) that are already on the plane, can you think of any operation between two vectors that gives you a normal vector (thus giving you a normal vector to your plane)? Can you get the rest?

5. Aug 28, 2010 #4
    darn you HallsofIvy!!...beat me by a minute :P

6. Aug 28, 2010 #5
    Great! Thanks a lot guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?