Planetary Electromagnetic Field

In summary: Could you hypothetically smash an asteroid into Venus to make it rotate faster?That would not help. You would need to change the initial conditions of the planet to make it spin faster.
bodykey
First of all I'm not sure where in the world this topic would fit at, so I put it in Electrical Engineering because my assumption is that electrical engineers may have the answers for this question more so than anyone else, but mods, if you feel this thread would be better off in a different location then please move it.
Ok, so I've been racking my brain on a few things lately, my co-workers have been going back and forth on different topics here and there (last time it was about general relativity, this time it's about planetary rotation in regards to electromagnetic fields).

Here's the thing. It's theorized that the Earth's magnetic field is what protects the Earth from cosmic radiation and destructive particles emitted from the sun. It is therefore theorized that a contributing factor to the planets Mars and Venus having drastically different atmospheres is also due to the lack of a strong magnetic field to prevent cosmic rays from stripping away their atmosphere. Mars has a pretty screwed up magnetic field that I'm pretty sure can't be repaired, however, Venus' magnetic field could be corrected only if it were to spin faster due to its iron core.SO, here's my question:

Could you hypothetically cause a metal ball to spin or rotate more rapidly by utilizing an outside magnetic field? Like an oscillating magnetic 'burst' to twist or push the sphere in a specific direction? I'm not sure that I'm explaining this properly, but I've seen several other theories like smashing asteroids into venus to make it rotate faster, but I'm wondering, could by technical theoretical standards a large enough magnetic field actually be utilized, if enough power and energy were produced, to slowly rotate the planet eventually to create a 24 hour day instead of a 116 day 'earth day'?

Again, not sure if this is the right spot or not, but I'm curious to know if something like that would even be possible on a lower scale.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh awesome, thank you DEvens!

bodykey said:
Could you hypothetically cause a metal ball to spin or rotate more rapidly by utilizing an outside magnetic field?
Yes. You can drag a conductive object by placing it in a rotating magnetic field.
That is how induction motors work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_motor

The Earth's magnetic field only protects the surface from some charged particles, mainly protons.
Most other particles collide with the atmosphere or reach the surface. We do not need the Earth's magnetic field to survive.

Likes Demforiq

1. What is a planetary electromagnetic field?

A planetary electromagnetic field is a magnetic field that surrounds a planet and extends into space. It is created by the rotation of the planet's core, which is made up of a liquid metal. The movement of this liquid metal creates electric currents, which in turn generate a magnetic field.

2. Why is a planetary electromagnetic field important?

A planetary electromagnetic field is important because it protects the planet from harmful solar winds and cosmic radiation. These charged particles would otherwise strip away the planet's atmosphere and make it uninhabitable for life. The magnetic field also plays a critical role in navigation, as many animals and even some humans use it to orient themselves.

3. How is a planetary electromagnetic field measured?

A planetary electromagnetic field is typically measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that can detect and measure magnetic fields. These instruments can be placed on the planet's surface or in orbit around the planet to gather data on the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

4. Can a planetary electromagnetic field change?

Yes, a planetary electromagnetic field can change over time. The Earth's magnetic field, for example, has reversed its polarity multiple times in the past. These changes can be caused by fluctuations in the planet's core, external influences such as solar winds, or even geological events like volcanic eruptions.

5. How does a planetary electromagnetic field impact space exploration?

A planetary electromagnetic field can have a significant impact on space exploration. It can affect the trajectory of spacecraft and the accuracy of communication systems. Understanding the magnetic field of a planet is also crucial for landing missions, as it can interfere with the descent and landing process. Additionally, studying the magnetic field of other planets can provide valuable insights into their geological processes and potential for supporting life.