Can You Make Planter Pots from Aircrete?

• Lawn/Garden
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, making lightweight flowerpots from hypertufa and papercrete is a popular topic on YouTube. However, it is possible to make pots from aircrete, although there can be issues with cracking and bending. Furthermore, aircrete pots may require regular fertilization due to their closed-pore composition. It would be beneficial to experiment with different formulations and techniques to create a sturdy and durable pot. Have you tried making an aircrete pot before? Share your experience and tips!
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Can pots to hold plants be made from aircrete?
There are numerous YouTube videos about making lightweight flowerpots from hypertufa and papercrete. Can such items be made from aircrete? (A disadvantage of hypertufa and papercrete is that pots must be cured for a week to month before using them.)

The one video I found about using aircrete for a planter box determined that the particular formulation of aircrete he used had problem with cracking and bending. at 18:50

Physics news on Phys.org
Possible, but it would be less convenient to maintain - will need to regularly add fertilizer, because aircrete is closed-pore composite, and therefore provide very few minerals to plants in the pot.

Hi there! I have not personally tried making flowerpots from aircrete, but from what I've researched, it seems like it is possible. However, as you mentioned, there can be issues with cracking and bending. I think it would be important to experiment with different formulations and techniques to see if you can achieve a sturdy and durable pot. It's always exciting to try new things and see how they turn out! Have you attempted making a pot from aircrete before? I would love to hear about your experience and any tips you may have. Thanks for bringing up this topic!

1. What is aircrete and how is it used to make planter pots?

Aircrete is a lightweight and durable building material made from a mixture of cement, water, and foam. It is used to make planter pots by pouring the aircrete mixture into molds and allowing it to harden into a solid shape.

2. Are aircrete planter pots safe for plants?

Yes, aircrete planter pots are safe for plants. Aircrete is a non-toxic material and does not release any harmful chemicals into the soil. It is also breathable, allowing for proper air and water circulation for plant growth.

3. How long do aircrete planter pots last?

Aircrete planter pots can last for many years with proper care. They are resistant to weathering, pests, and rot, making them a long-lasting option for planters.

4. Can aircrete planter pots be painted or decorated?

Yes, aircrete planter pots can be painted or decorated. The surface of aircrete can be easily painted with acrylic or latex paint, and various decorative techniques such as stenciling or decoupage can be used to add a personal touch.

5. Are aircrete planter pots environmentally friendly?

Aircrete planter pots are considered to be environmentally friendly because they are made from natural materials and have a low carbon footprint. They are also durable and can be reused or recycled, reducing waste in landfills.