Plate conductor in electrostatic equilibrium

In summary, a conducting plate with a total charge of 4.00 x 10-8 C is placed on the xy plane with a side length of 50.0 cm. The charge density on each face of the plate is 8x10^-8 C/m^2, the electric field just above the plate is 9.04 kN/C, and the electric field just below the plate is -9.04 kN/C. The negative sign for the electric field just below the plate indicates that the flux is positive for the Gaussian surface used in the calculation.
member 392791

Homework Statement

A thin, square, conducting plate 50.0 cm on a side lies
in the xy plane. A total charge of 4.00 x 10-8 C is placed
on the plate. Find (a) the charge density on each face of
the plate, (b) the electric field just above the plate, and
(c) the electric field just below the plate. You may assume
the charge density is uniform.

Homework Equations

σ = Q/A

The Attempt at a Solution

a) σ = 4×10^-8 / (.5)^2 / 2 = 8x10^-8 C/m^2
b) Ok using gauss law

E = σ / ε = 9.04 kN/C

c) my problem is why for part C, the answer is -9.04 kN/C. If my Gaussian surface is below the plane, its area vector is pointing downward, and my positive bottom surface charges electric field is also pointing down, so they are pointing in the same direction, thus E should be positive??

Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:
c) my problem is why for part C, the answer is -9.04 kN/C. If my Gaussian surface is below the plane, its area vector is pointing downward, and my positive bottom surface charges electric field is also pointing down, so they are pointing in the same direction, thus E should be positive??

What you should conclude is that the flux is positive for your Gaussian surface. The field is downward (as you stated) and I think that is all that is meant by the answer being negative.

Related to Plate conductor in electrostatic equilibrium

1. What is a plate conductor in electrostatic equilibrium?

A plate conductor in electrostatic equilibrium is a conductor (material that allows the flow of electricity) that is at rest and has no net charge on its surface. This means that the electric field inside the conductor is zero and the charges are evenly distributed.

2. How is electrostatic equilibrium achieved in a plate conductor?

Electrostatic equilibrium is achieved in a plate conductor when the net charge on the surface is evenly distributed, resulting in a zero electric field inside the conductor. This can be achieved by grounding the conductor or by connecting it to a charged object with an opposite charge, causing the charges to redistribute and reach equilibrium.

3. What is the significance of electrostatic equilibrium in a plate conductor?

Electrostatic equilibrium in a plate conductor is significant because it allows for a stable distribution of charges, which is important in many practical applications such as in electronic circuits. It also ensures that the electric field inside the conductor is zero, which prevents any excess charge from accumulating and causing damage.

4. How does the shape and size of a plate conductor affect electrostatic equilibrium?

The shape and size of a plate conductor can affect electrostatic equilibrium by changing the distribution of charges on its surface. For example, a larger conductor will have a larger surface area for charge distribution, while a more curved conductor may have areas with higher charge density. This can impact the electric field inside the conductor and may require adjustments to achieve equilibrium.

5. Can a plate conductor in electrostatic equilibrium hold any amount of charge?

No, a plate conductor in electrostatic equilibrium can only hold a finite amount of charge. This is because the charges are evenly distributed on the surface and any excess charge will cause the electric field to become non-zero, breaking the equilibrium. The maximum charge a conductor can hold depends on its size, shape, and the material it is made of.