Play with Coins: Solve a(16)

• Thread starter Cosmos
  • Start date
In summary, a fair coin is tossed 'n' times and a(n) denotes the number of cases in which no two heads occur consecutively. The value of a(16) is ~4% probability. The thread's point was originally to share a trick to solve the problem without counting, but it has devolved into a pointless argument. The thread has been closed.
Cosmos
Mod note: Thread moved from technical math section, so homework template does not appear.
A fair coin is tossed 'n' times. Let a(n) denote the number of cases in which no two heads occur consecutively, then what is the value of a(16)?:woot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cosmos said:
A fair coin is tossed 'n' times. Let a(n) denote the number of cases in which no two heads occur consecutively, then what is the value of a(16)?:woot:
What do you think it is? What are the Relevant Equations? Is this a question from your schoolwork?

No...But it involves a good trick (i think) instead of simply rather foolishly counting...:-p

Cosmos said:
No...But it involves a good trick (i think) instead of simply rather foolishly counting...:-p
Are you saying that you already know the answer?

Cosmos said:
Doing it with a recurrence turns out very nicely.

Likes Samy_A
Markov Chains also work pretty nicely.

Likes mfb
phinds said:
Are you saying that you already know the answer?
yes my boy

So what is the point of this thread?

~4% probability.

mfb said:
My point exactly.
Cosmos said:
yes my boy
I do not appreciate the smarmy answer and if you know the solution then I agree with mfb. What's the point of this thread?

Likes S.G. Janssens
phinds said:
What's the point of this thread?

Thus far the point has been "I know something you don't, nyah nyah nyah!" I certainly hope there is more to it soon.

Vanadium 50 said:
Thus far the point has been "I know something you don't, nyah nyah nyah!" I certainly hope there is more to it soon.
You don't really expect for there to be do you? I think you've already nailed it.

Mod note: Edited post to remove insulting and condescending contents.
mfb said:

~4% probability.
I know the 'ANSWER' but i don't know the 'SOLUTION'...:cool:...and i do hope for a very good method to get it...:wink:...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, then this should be treated as any homework problem. So what have you tried?

Cosmos said:
yes my boy

phinds said:
My point exactly.

I do not appreciate the smarmy answer
Nor do I. The OP has earned an infraction for this.

so
phinds said:
My point exactly.

I do not appreciate the smarmy answer and if you know the solution then I agree with mfb. What's the point of this thread?
sorry sir:bow:

This is going nowhere. Thread closed.

What is the purpose of "Play with Coins: Solve a(16)?"

The purpose of "Play with Coins: Solve a(16)" is to challenge players to solve a mathematical problem involving the arrangement of 16 coins in a specific pattern. It is a fun and interactive way to practice problem-solving skills and learn about mathematical concepts.

How do I play "Play with Coins: Solve a(16)?"

To play "Play with Coins: Solve a(16)," you will need 16 coins and a flat surface. Begin by arranging the coins in a specific pattern as instructed in the game. Then, follow the rules of the game to determine the correct number of moves needed to reach the desired outcome.

Is "Play with Coins: Solve a(16)" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "Play with Coins: Solve a(16)" can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It is a great way to introduce children to basic mathematical concepts and can also be a fun challenge for adults.

Can I modify the game to make it more challenging?

Yes, you can modify "Play with Coins: Solve a(16)" to make it more challenging by increasing the number of coins or changing the desired outcome. You can also try to solve the problem using fewer moves or within a limited time frame.

What are the benefits of playing "Play with Coins: Solve a(16)?"

Playing "Play with Coins: Solve a(16)" can improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and spatial reasoning. It can also help in developing an interest in mathematics and make learning more enjoyable.