Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please can people advise me on this!

1. Jul 9, 2011 #1
    Hi I have attached an image of part of a freely available paper I was reading. It shows the equations for least squares minimization of some equations based on empirical data.

I am not completely confident I understand the required steps, and therefore just wanted to talk it through with others, see what you say and see if it sparks any ideas to solve these.

As I understand it, the first equation (eqn 40) is minimizes using levenberg marquardt for a, b and c0. k is 1,2,3,4..... t_k is times stored, the rest of the equation is trying to model the time it will take (whatever that time may be).

Ok so using levenberg marquardt estimate a, b and c0.
    But the the next equation (eqn 41) says that he freezes beta to be ab^2, and uses golden section method to 'refine' a and b?

Did the leveneberg marquardt not do a good enough job because I thought we found and ab that way?

the author also give the sub equations for c0. Why? I thought we estimated c0?

Ok so however it has been done, we have a good estimate for a, b and c0.
    Eqn 42. Same thing again except now for nu, phi, omega^2.

How is it explaining to solve this?
    "robus linear estimation"? "Directly minimizing"? Is that how? Why cant we use levenberg marquardt again?

I just would like discussion, Im not after just the answer, I would like to understand when to use what, and why...

Thanks guys

By the way, that is the whole chapter I havent left anything out except the chapter title

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2011 #2
    Is this in the wrong forum?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook