Please check this differentiation result

So, you just multiply by the derivative of what's inside, which in this case is -1/2.In summary, the correct answer is (-e^-x) ((1-x)^1/2) + (-e^-x)/2((1-x)^-1/2).
cabellos
I have to differentiate (e^-x) ((1-x)^1/2)

my answer is:

(-e^-x) ((1-x)^1/2) + (e^-x)/((-1/2 + 1/2x)^-1/2))

is this correct?

thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
In the second part I believe the -1/2 term is outside the underroot

cabellos said:
I have to differentiate (e^-x) ((1-x)^1/2)

my answer is:

(-e^-x) ((1-x)^1/2) + (e^-x)/((-1/2 + 1/2x)^-1/2))

is this correct?

thankyou

You want to differentiate this: [itex]e^{-x}(1-x)^{1/2}[/itex]? You have used the product rule correctly, but the second term is incorrect. The second term is [tex]e^{-x}\frac{d}{dx}(1-x)^{1/2}=e^{-x}(1-x)^{-1/2}\cdot(-\frac{1}{2})[/tex]

Note that, when using the chain rule on the parentheses, whatever's inside the parentheses does not change.

Related to Please check this differentiation result

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function over a certain interval. It is often used in calculus to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

Why is it important to check a differentiation result?

Checking a differentiation result ensures that the calculation was done correctly and that the answer is accurate. It also allows for identification and correction of any errors that may have occurred during the calculation process.

What are the common methods used to check a differentiation result?

The most common methods used to check a differentiation result are graphing the original and differentiated functions, using algebraic rules and identities, and using numerical methods such as finite differences or Taylor series approximations.

What are some potential sources of error when differentiating a function?

Potential sources of error when differentiating a function include arithmetic mistakes, incorrect application of differentiation rules, and errors in the original function. It is important to double-check each step of the differentiation process to avoid these errors.

Are there any limitations to differentiation?

Yes, differentiation has some limitations. It is only applicable to continuous functions and cannot be used for discontinuous or undefined functions. Additionally, some functions may be too complex to differentiate analytically and require numerical methods to approximate the derivative.