Please check what's in the Ulaby book regarding reflection.

In summary, this book presents the incident wave incorrectly. The nomenclature of the E field is deceiving, and the direction of the propagation is not according to the nomenclature.
yungman
Attached is a scanned of the page in question. This is regarding to Perpendicularly polarized plane wave. in equation (9.47a) at the lower left corner it is the distance ##x_i## to the origin.
[tex]x_i=x\sin\theta_i+z\cos\theta_i\;\hbox {(9.47a)}[/tex]

That is not a distance. distance of ##|\vec x_i|=\sqrt{x^2 \sin^2\theta_i+z^2\cos^2\theta_i}##, not ##x_i=x\sin\theta_i+z\cos\theta_i##.

Actually ##\hat x_i=\hat x\sin\theta_i+\hat z\cos\theta_i\;\hbox { and }\vec x_i=\hat x|x_i|\sin\theta_i+\hat z|x_i|\cos\theta_i##

Am I missing something because it's Memorial Day this weekend?! Did I read the book wrong?

Attachments

• E&H L.jpg
    E&H L.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I think I dislike the way this was presented in this book.

Consider the incident wave like this

[itex]e^{-j\, \vec{k}_i\, \cdot \, \vec{r}}[/itex]

now if we factor out the magnitude of the wave vector so that [itex]\vec{k}_i = k_i \hat{k}_i[/itex]

[itex]\vec{k}_i \, \cdot \, \vec{r} = k_i \hat{k}_i \cdot \vec{r}[/itex]

[itex] \hat{k}_i[/itex] points along the direction that the incident wave travels.

[itex] \hat{k}_i = \cos\theta \hat{z} + \sin\theta \hat{x}[/itex]

talking the dot product of [itex] \hat{k}_i[/itex] with the position vector

[itex] \hat{k}_i \cdot \vec{r} = z\cos\theta \hat{z} + x\sin\theta \hat{x}[/itex] [itex]\vec{k}_i \cdot \vec{r} = k_i \hat{k}_i \cdot \vec{r} = k_i(z\cos\theta \hat{z} + x\sin\theta \hat{x} )[/itex]

Yes I figured this out today. None of the books present this well at all. I had to read Cheng's, Griffiths, and Ulaby and work on the vector calculus to figure this and interpreted it out, it's like what you have.

I am surprised good book like Griffiths does not do a good job in this particular section.

Notice the nomenclature of the E field is deceiving too. They all use ##\vec E_I(\vec r,t)##. But in fact ##\vec r=\hat xx+\hat yy+\hat zz## is not the direction of the propagation. ##\vec r## is only used to provide the c,y and z terms by the dot product. If it is according to Ulaby that I scanned, it should be ##\vec E_I(\vec x_i,t)## as ##\vec x_i## is the direction of propagation of the ##\vec E_I##.

Thanks

1. What is the definition of reflection in the Ulaby book?

In the Ulaby book, reflection is defined as the process by which a wave, such as light or sound, bounces off a surface and changes direction.

2. How is the angle of incidence related to the angle of reflection?

According to the Ulaby book, the angle of incidence (the angle at which the wave hits the surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the wave bounces off the surface).

3. What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection refers to when a wave bounces off a smooth surface and maintains its direction, while diffuse reflection occurs when a wave bounces off a rough surface and scatters in different directions.

4. Can reflection occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, according to the Ulaby book, reflection can occur with various types of waves, including sound, water, and radio waves.

5. How is the intensity of a reflected wave affected by the angle of incidence?

The intensity of a reflected wave is affected by the angle of incidence, with the maximum intensity occurring when the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. As the angle of incidence increases, the intensity of the reflected wave decreases.