Calculating Force from Parachute on Grade 11 Rocket Project

• Thread starter umer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, the conversation involves the calculation of the force exerted on a rocket by its parachute. The force is determined to be equal to the mass of the rocket multiplied by acceleration due to gravity. The air resistance is equivalent to the force exerted by the parachute. The conversation also discusses the meaning of Fp and T in the solution.
umer
hi I've been doing rocets recently and i have to a report and analysis of my rocket

everything is going fine, i just got stuck on one question
i have to calculate the force exerted on the rocket from the parachute

so when the rocket reached its maximum, my parachute edjected...as it is coming down...wut is the force that the parachute is exerting on the rocket

ive thought aalot of about it but i just can't figure it out
i calculated my Acceleration Net to be around 15m/s

Fnet was around 1.27N
maximum height reached was 90.0m
mass of rocket was 66.01g <<<< this is without engine btw

i don't know if that helps :uhh:
i just need some direction/suggestion

thnx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shouldnt the force be mg - because it should be in terminal velocity which is constant speed??

If you wait sufficiently long and the velocity of the descending rocket comes into equlibrium, according to Newton's Second and Third laws, there is no net acceleration of the parachute / rocket system. When that is the case all forces internal to the system must yield zero. The parachute pulls up on the cords that tie it to the rocket, while the cords pull the parachute down. Simultaneously (sp?) the cords pull up on the rocket while the rocket pulls down on the cords.

[tex]F_{p}-T=0[/tex]
[tex]T-mg=0 \therefore [/tex]
[tex]F_{p}-mg=0 \rightarrow F_{p}=mg [/tex]

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Yupp - I agree with bobp718. Welcome to physicsforums btw ;)

what does Fp and T represent in that solution?

sry...im new to physics...its my year taking it so I am unfamiliar with these terms

thnx for the reply

[tex]F_{p}[/tex] was intended to be understood as the force that the parachute applied to the system.
[tex]T[/tex] was intended to be understood as the tension in the cord uniting the rocket and the parachute.

How about the air resistance?>

In this case, because of the function of the parachute, the air resistance would be the equivalent of the Force exerted by the parachute. So you do not need to calculate air resistance, once you find Fp you will already have it.

thank you soo much
it makes sense now
i really appreciate the help

1. How do you calculate the force from a parachute on a grade 11 rocket project?

To calculate the force from a parachute on a grade 11 rocket project, you will need to use the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the rocket, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. You will also need to take into account the drag coefficient and the area of the parachute. Once you have these values, you can use the equation F = 0.5 x p x v^2 x Cd x A, where p is the air density, v is the velocity of the rocket, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the area of the parachute. This will give you the force exerted by the parachute on the rocket.

2. What is the drag coefficient and how does it affect parachute force?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of drag or resistance an object experiences as it moves through a fluid, such as air. It is affected by the shape and size of the object, as well as the properties of the fluid. In the context of a parachute on a grade 11 rocket project, the drag coefficient will affect the amount of air resistance the parachute experiences, which in turn affects the force exerted on the rocket by the parachute.

3. How do you determine the mass of the rocket for calculating parachute force?

To determine the mass of the rocket for calculating parachute force, you will need to weigh the rocket before launch. This will give you the total mass of the rocket, which you will use in the formula F = m x a to calculate the force. It is important to use the correct mass in your calculations to get an accurate result.

4. Is there a specific equation for calculating parachute force on a grade 11 rocket project?

Yes, there is a specific equation for calculating parachute force on a grade 11 rocket project. As mentioned before, the equation is F = 0.5 x p x v^2 x Cd x A, where p is the air density, v is the velocity of the rocket, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the area of the parachute. This equation takes into account the relevant variables and will give you the force exerted by the parachute on the rocket.

5. How does the angle of the parachute affect the force on the grade 11 rocket?

The angle of the parachute can affect the force on the grade 11 rocket in a few ways. If the parachute is deployed at a steeper angle, it will create more drag and therefore exert a greater force on the rocket. On the other hand, if the parachute is deployed at a shallower angle, it will create less drag and exert a smaller force on the rocket. Additionally, the angle of the parachute can affect the stability of the rocket and may impact its flight path. It is important to carefully consider the angle of the parachute when calculating the force on a grade 11 rocket.