Solving for Vector & Scalar Potential of a Rotating Line Charge Density

In summary, the conversation is about a self-created problem involving a plastic circular ring with line charge density glued on it, placed on the xy plane and spinning at a constant angular velocity. The goal is to find the scalar potential V and vector potential A at a specific point. The conversation also includes relevant equations and an attempt at a solution, but the solution is difficult to obtain due to the presence of both sin and cos terms in the same equation. It may involve the use of series or Bessel's equation.
yungman

Homework Statement

This is not a home work, I actually make this problem up and work on it. I want to verify whether I am correct in the step and I need help to solve the final integration.

The question is:

Given a plastic circular ring radius = a with line charge density glued on it. The charge density around the ring is given as [tex]\lambda = \lambda_0\left | sin \left ( \frac { \theta}{2}\right )\right |[/tex]. Then the ring is place on the xy plane with the center at origin and spin at constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex]. I want to find the scalar potential V and vector potential A at P(x_0,0,z_0).

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec R \;\hbox { is position vector pointing to P. } \vec w(\phi) \;\hbox { is position vector pointing to a point of the ring.}[/tex]

[tex] \phi = \theta + \omega t_r = \theta +\omega \left ( t-\frac {\eta}{c}\right ) \;,\; \vec R = \hat x_0 + \hat z z_0\;,\; \vec w (\phi) = \hat x a\;cos (\phi) + \hat y a\; sin(\phi) = \hat x a\;cos (\theta + \omega t_r ) + \hat y a\; sin(\theta + \omega t_r ) [/tex]

[tex] \vec v(\phi) = \vec w\;' (\phi) = -\hat x a\omega\;sin (\theta + \omega t_r ) + \hat y a\omega \; cos(\theta + \omega t_r ) [/tex]

[tex]V_{(\vec r,t)} = \frac {1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\int \frac { \rho_{(\vec r\;',t_r)}}{\eta c -\vec{\eta} \cdot \vec v(\phi)} a d\phi \;\hbox { where }\;\vec {\eta} = \vec R - \vec w (\phi) = \hat x(x_0-acos\phi)-\hat y a sin\phi+\hat z z_0[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\eta} \;\hbox { is the vector from a point of interest on the plastic ring to point P.}[/tex]

[tex] \eta = \sqrt{(x_0-acos\phi)^2+a^2sin^2\phi + z_0^2} = \sqrt{(x_0^2+a^2 -2ax_0 cos\phi) + z_0^2} = c(t-t_r)[/tex]

[tex]\vec {\eta} \cdot \vec v(\phi) = -a\omega sin\phi(x_0-acos\phi)-a^2\omega cos\phi sin\phi = -a\omega x_0sin\phi = -a\omega x_0 sin \left ( \theta + \omega \left ( t- \frac {\eta}{c}\right ) \right )[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] V_{(\vec r,t)} = \frac {1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\int \frac { \rho_{(\vec r\;',t_r)}}{\eta c -\vec{\eta} \cdot \vec v(\phi)} a d\phi = \frac {\lambda_0 c }{4\pi \epsilon_0}\int \frac {\left | sin \left ( \frac {\phi}{2}\right ) \right | }{c\sqrt{x_0^2 +a^2-2ax_0cos\phi+z^2} + a\omega x_0sin\phi} a d\phi [/tex]

The next step is to substitude [tex] \phi = \theta + \omega \left ( t- \frac {\eta}{c}\right ) \;\hbox { and }\; \eta = c(t-t_r) \;\hbox { to solve for }\; t_r \;\hbox { and }\; \phi[/tex]

I don't know an easy to solve for [itex]t_r \;\hbox { or } \phi[/itex] as I have both [itex] t_r \;\hbox { and } \; cos \phi[/itex] in the same equation.

Please check for me whether I am doing this correctly so far because I don't have the correct solution since I make up this problem. And also give me hints how to solve of t_r or \phi.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I was told the method I use is correct. The solution is very hard to get because both [itex]sin\phi\;,\; cos \phi \hbox { and } t_r [/itex] exist in the same equation. The solution might involve series or Bessel's equation and there is no easy way.

1. What is a vector potential in electromagnetism?

A vector potential is a mathematical concept used to describe the magnetic field in three-dimensional space. It is used in the study of electromagnetism to describe the relationship between the magnetic field and its source, such as a moving charge or current.

2. How is the vector potential of a rotating line charge density calculated?

The vector potential of a rotating line charge density can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point in space is directly proportional to the current flowing through a nearby wire. The vector potential is then determined by integrating the Biot-Savart law over the length of the rotating line charge density.

3. What is the scalar potential in electromagnetism?

The scalar potential is a mathematical concept used to describe the electric field in three-dimensional space. It is related to the vector potential and is used to describe the relationship between the electric field and its source, such as a stationary charge or voltage.

4. How is the scalar potential of a rotating line charge density calculated?

The scalar potential of a rotating line charge density can be calculated using the Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a point in space is directly proportional to the charge at that point. The scalar potential is then determined by integrating the Coulomb's law over the length of the rotating line charge density.

5. Why is the vector potential important in solving for the magnetic field of a rotating line charge density?

The vector potential is important because it provides a more convenient and efficient way to calculate the magnetic field than using the Biot-Savart law directly. It also helps to simplify the equations and makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the magnetic field in relation to the rotating line charge density.