Settle the Debate: Boiling Time of Water at Different Temperatures on Stove

• Thread starter tammikec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discussion
In summary, the question at hand is whether a pan with water at 100 degrees and a pan with water at 50 degrees would boil at the same time when put on the stove with equal flame applied. The expert summary is that the pan with 100 degree water would boil first due to its higher initial temperature, as explained by the classical heat equation and the fact that both pans have the same mass and heat capacity. It is also shown that this is intuitively obvious and can be proven using a practical investigation. There is also a discussion about the misuse of words such as "boiling" and "evaporation" in relation to the solid-liquid interface and liquid-vapor interface.
tammikec
Here's the issue in question. Let's say you had two equally sized pans filled with equal amounts of water. The only difference between them is the water in one pan is 50 degrees while the other is 100 degrees. Next, they are put on the stove with equal flame applied, would the pan with 100 degree water come to a boil first or would they both come to a boil at the same time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forums,

The 100oC pan would boil first. Do you require an explantion or is a yay or nay enough?

Last edited:
The pan at 100 degrees (celcius or farenheit) would come to boil first. Classical heat equation Q=C*dT.
They both have the same mass and are both water so their heat capacity is the same. The heat energy applied to both (from the flame) is the same. So the temperature should go up at a similar rate in each. Since the 100 degree pan has distance to travel in this regard, it will reach boiling temperature first.

No, no equations necessary, you can solve this without knowing any science!

cyrusabdollahi said:
No, no equations necessary, you can solve this without knowing any science!
I feel a practical investigation coming on...:rolleyes:

Bring It Baby! :devil:

If they were both 100F, they would both take the same amount of time to boil, agreed?

So if the one that is 50F has to first go to 100F, the only way it can be faster is if it takes negative time to boil from 50 to 100, and that ant going to happen. See, no equations!

tammikec said:
Here's the issue in question. Let's say you had two equally sized pans filled with equal amounts of water. The only difference between them is the water in one pan is 50 degrees while the other is 100 degrees. Next, they are put on the stove with equal flame applied, would the pan with 100 degree water come to a boil first or would they both come to a boil at the same time.
Not only is it intuitively obvious that the pan with near-boiling water will boil first, but you can prove that it makes no sense otherwise.

Say a pan50F takes 10 minutes to boil.
We'll postulate that pan100F also takes 10 minutes.

So, now what happens when pan50F reaches 100F? It will now take 10 minutes from that point to boil. Which means it actually took 20 minutes in total. Which would mean 10=20!

Which is impossible, therefore the initial postulate can't be true.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
If they were both 100F, they would both take the same amount of time to boil, agreed?

So if the one that is 50F has to first go to 100F, the only way it can be faster is if it takes negative time to boil from 50 to 100, and that ant going to happen. See, no equations!
I've got one word for you: Mpemba!

I've got one for you, prove it! :wink:

No, no. It's a trick quesion. The OP craftily didn't specify whether the temperatures were in C or F. The 100C pan is already boiling before it is put on the stove, so neither answer is correct!

berkeman said:
No, no. It's a trick quesion. The OP craftily didn't specify whether the temperatures were in C or F. The 100C pan is already boiling before it is put on the stove, so neither answer is correct!
Boiling usually means that the water is turning into water vapor at a great rate.
At a lower rate its called simmering.
In any event 100c water isn't boiling without a heat input cause it would get less than 100c instantly.

Err, in a pan it's going to get colder instantly anyway:smile:

Water boils at a temperature slightly greater than 100C, despite popular belief. It has to be >100C for nucleation and bubbles to form.

"Simmering" is not a proper term, as far as I am aware.

Last edited:
My speel checker finds "Simmering" :wink:

If you want to get picky then it boils at room temp.
Otherwise, it would never evaporate :smile:

Ehh? That's equally wrong as well...water vaporizes(well, evaporates) at room temp, it does NOT boil.

Last edited:
It's all about the semantics, a room, at room temp, does have some heat :smile:

v., boiled, boil·ing, boils.
To change from a liquid to a vapor by the application of heat

No, its not. Arg...you need to get a book on thermodynamics.

Boiling is for a solid-liquid interface.

Evaporation occurs at the liquid-vapor interface

Now, no more misuse of words. :smile:

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
solid-liquid
:rofl: Is that an oxymoron, or what?

What...? :confused:

Do you think it all boils instantly into a vapor?

I don't know what planet your thermodynamics book came from, but ...

Most people think that what occurs at the interface between liquid and solid is melting. :biggrin:

Ah, sorry. The solid is the pan, the liquid is the water.

Better?

:rofl: I'm better. I needed a good laugh :wink:

:rofl: Yeah, that was funny...do you see the difference now? They are not the same.

:devil: :devil: :wink:

They are not the same, what don't you get?

I confess cyrus - not that this needs to be beaten to death any more - but it seems your're making the issue even more confusing.

"Evaporation occurs at the liquid-vapor interface"

"Boiling is for a solid-liquid interface."
"The solid is the pan, the liquid is the water."

By this, you seem to be indicating (and I'm sure you don't mean to) that the pan itself is boiling into the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Water boils at a temperature slightly greater than 100C, despite popular belief. It has to be >100C for nucleation and bubles to form.
Actually, I believe it is 99.97C at 1 atm.

cyrusabdollahi said:
No, its not. Arg...you need to get a book on thermodynamics.

Boiling is for a solid-liquid interface.
Boiling is the liquid-vapor phase change.

Freezing is the solid-liquid phase change

See enthalpy of fusion, enthalpy of vaporization

Evaporation occurs at the liquid-vapor interface

Now, no more misuse of words. :smile:
Hmmm

WhyIsItSo said:
Boiling is the liquid-vapor phase change.

Freezing is the solid-liquid phase change

See enthalpy of fusion, enthalpy of vaporization

Hmmm

No, that's not at all what I'm talking about.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Yes, thank you! A link! :rofl:

See, NOT the same thing.

I don't know what you read in the link that doc al gave, but it clearly contradicted what you are saying.

Zz.

Really? :frown: Arggg...hehe let me type what I have in my book.

Evaporation occurs at the liquid-vapor interface when the vapor pressure is less than the saturation pressure of the liquid at a given temperature.

Boiling, on the other hand, occurs at the solid-liquid interface when a liquid is brought into contact with a surface maintained at a temperature T_s sufficiently above the saturation temperature T_{sat} of the liquid. The boiling process is characterized by the rapid motion of vapor bubbles that form at the solid-liquid interface, detatch from the surface when they reach a certain size, and attempt to rise to the free surface of the liquid.

That is why, boiling, is not exactly the same effect as evaporation, IMO.

One involves nucleation, the other does not.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I've got one for you, prove it! :wink:
Prove what? Mpemba? Sure! Let me know when you're visiting these parts.

People: Cyrus is pointing out that while evaporation is a phase change that occurs at the liquid-vapor interface, boiling is the same phase change which occurs predominantly at a solid-liquid interface (the "interface" being in the real world, not on a phase diagram). To be correct, there is some bubble nucleation within the liquid itself, arising from density fluctuations, but for most common vessels (nothing that has a special surface treatment), the majority of bubbles do nucleate on the container walls.

Edit: Was typing this up before I saw Cyrus' last post, in which he finally decides not to be enigmatic about his earlier post.

Last edited: