Thermodynamics: Water Properties

In summary, the question is asking at what temperature will water boil in a 46.3cm deep pan, given that it boils at 98 degrees Celcius in a 3.7cm deep pan. The linear approximation equation P=ρh is used to solve for density, but it is unclear how to find the temperature with only the density information. The given water properties table can be used to find the change in pressure between the two depths, but it is not clear how this relates to the temperature.
engineering lord

Homework Statement

Two pans filled with water. Water in a 3.7cm deep pan is observed to boil at 98 degrees Celcius. At what temperature will the water in a 46.3cm deep pan boil?

Homework Equations

P=3.146T-211.87 (linear approximation)
Water properties table:
95°C 84.609kPa .001060 vf 1.9808vg
100°C 101.42kPa .001043vf 1.6720vg

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the linear approximation equal to the equation P=ρh so I have ρ(.037m)=3.146*98-211.87 to solve for density. Now I have density, but I am stuck. How can I find the temperature of boiling with only the density? I can find the reciprocal, ν, but how does that allude to the temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the change in pressure between 3.7 cm depth and 46.3 cm depth if the density is about 1.043 gm/cm^3?

1. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat refers to the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object. In other words, heat is the energy being transferred, while temperature is a measure of how much energy an object has.

2. How does water's specific heat capacity affect its properties in thermodynamics?

Water has a high specific heat capacity, meaning it can absorb and store a large amount of thermal energy without experiencing a significant increase in temperature. This property makes water a stable and consistent source of thermal energy, making it important in many thermodynamic processes.

3. Why is water considered a universal solvent in thermodynamics?

Water's polar nature and high dielectric constant make it an excellent solvent for a wide range of substances. This is because the polar water molecules can easily interact with other polar or charged molecules, breaking them apart and dissolving them in the water.

4. How does water's boiling point change with altitude?

The boiling point of water decreases as altitude increases. This is because at higher altitudes, the atmospheric pressure is lower, making it easier for water molecules to escape into the air and become vapor. Therefore, less energy is needed to reach the boiling point at higher altitudes.

5. What is the triple point of water and why is it important in thermodynamics?

The triple point of water is the unique combination of temperature and pressure at which water can coexist in all three phases (solid, liquid, and gas). This point is important in thermodynamics because it is used as a reference point for defining temperature scales and measuring the properties of other substances.