Plexiglass Portholes for Sailboat: Advice Needed

• Thread starter brtilley
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is preparing their sailboat for offshore cruising and is looking for a cost-effective solution to replace their plastic portholes with metal ones. They are considering using plexiglass covers but are unsure of the best thickness for the application. They also mention the strength and environmental resistance of perspex/plexiglass and their plan to attach the covers using longer bolts and wing nuts. They also discuss the importance of spreading the force of the bolts to avoid cracking the plexiglass.
brtilley
Hi,

I have a sailboat that I am preparing for offshore cruising. I currently have relatively thin plastic portholes with plastic frames...in a steel cabin. These portholes will not survive heavy seas, so I was going to make metal covers (removable, either steel or aluminum) as the cost of new metal portholes is much more then my budget will handle...but then I will get no light into the cabin.

So I was thinking that maybe plexiglass covers might work if I knew the best thickness for this application. I do not know the actual force exerted by wave action on something 8" in diameter, so I though I would ask people who actually know these things. I would very much appreciate any advice or comments as to if this might work. Thank you very much...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perspex/Plexiglass (PMMA=Poly(methyl methacrylate)) is very strong.
I would probably worry more about how they are going to attach to the hull and how strong that connection is ( and how watertight) than about a 1/2inch thick perspex disc breaking.

It also has very good enviromental resistance, UV light and salt water don;t effect it.

Thanks for the reply...I am going to use the holes of the existing 8 bolts per porthole, but install longer ones to attach the covers when needed using wing nuts. As the cabin is steel I believe the support will be sufficiently strong. They do not need to be waterproof, just deflect the force of large waves. The existing portholes are waterproof and should be OK. Thanks again.

If you can make a metal ring to go around the outside of the perspex disc it will spread the force of the bolts better and avoid cracking where the bolt tightens against the perspex. Alternatively big washers and some pliant rubber like material under each bolt will help

Related to Plexiglass Portholes for Sailboat: Advice Needed

1. What is Plexiglass and why is it used for sailboat portholes?

Plexiglass, also known as acrylic or acrylic glass, is a transparent thermoplastic material that is commonly used in place of glass due to its strength, impact resistance, and lightweight nature. It is often used for sailboat portholes because it is durable and can withstand the harsh marine environment without becoming brittle or discolored.

2. How do I choose the right size for a plexiglass porthole on my sailboat?

The size of the porthole should be based on the size of the opening on your sailboat. Measure the inside of the opening and add a few inches to allow for a snug fit. It is also important to consider the thickness of the plexiglass, as it should be thick enough to withstand the water pressure and potential impacts.

3. Can I install plexiglass portholes myself or should I hire a professional?

It is possible to install plexiglass portholes yourself, but it is recommended to hire a professional if you are not experienced in marine construction. A professional will ensure that the portholes are properly installed and sealed to prevent leaks and maintain the structural integrity of your sailboat.

4. What are the maintenance requirements for plexiglass portholes on a sailboat?

Plexiglass portholes require regular cleaning and maintenance to prevent scratches and discoloration. Use a mild soap and water solution and a soft cloth to clean the portholes, avoiding harsh chemicals or abrasive materials. It is also important to regularly inspect the portholes for any signs of damage or wear and tear.

5. Are there any special considerations for using plexiglass portholes on a sailboat in extreme weather conditions?

Plexiglass portholes are designed to withstand extreme weather conditions, but it is important to choose a high-quality and thick enough plexiglass to ensure durability. In areas with high UV exposure, it is recommended to use a UV-resistant plexiglass to prevent discoloration. It is also important to properly seal the portholes to prevent any leaks during rough weather.