Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting two matrices in Excel

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

I have two matrices of equal dimensions. I would like to plot them such that row ##i## of matrix 1 corresponds the x-axis and row ##i## of matrix 2 corresponds to the y axis, so that row ##i## of matrix 1 and matrix 2 together give a coordinate. Does anyone know how to do this quickly?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Mark the row of matrix 1, then mark the row of matrix 2 (with ctrl to mark both at the same time), add an x-y-diagram. Done.

If that doesn't work for some reason: Mark the row of matrix 2, add a point (x/y) diagram, right-click on the data points to edit the data source, edit your line to add the x-coordinate reference. The details of the steps vary a bit between Excel versions.

4. Jan 11, 2017 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Thanks for your response mfb! I tried following your steps, and this works for plotting row by row, but isn't there a way to automate the process?

5. Jan 11, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can write a macro. The recording function helps to get the right commands.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted