Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plus Sign in Names?

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does it mean when a person has a plus sign after there name in the "currently online" list? I just realized that some people's names are written as:

"G01+"

Why would that plus sign be there?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2
    It means they are on your buddy list.

4. Nov 30, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I finally found the legend for those symbols recently. It's at the very bottom left of the Who's Online page:

5. Nov 30, 2007 #4

Evo

What does the buddy list do?

6. Nov 30, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the buddy relation symmetric?
    If not, can you tell who has added you to their buddy lists?

7. Dec 1, 2007 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmmmm. Apparently I have a buddy list...

8. Dec 1, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You cannot tell who has added you to their buddy lists. The pluses mean you've added them to yours.

How did you manage to add people to your buddy list without knowing you had one? Oh, y'know what...the button to add people to your buddy list is just below the one to view other posts by that user, so it's possible you've added them accidentally while having bad aim with the mouse to view someone's posts.

9. Dec 2, 2007 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah.

That is very possible. I have been known to be inaccurate with my mouse clicks.

Anyway, I'll have to set up an actual buddy list now that I know I have one!

10. Dec 2, 2007 #9

Evo

I tested the buddy list, it doesn't appear to do anything.

11. Dec 2, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only things I have ever found I could do with the buddy list were the ability to send a PM to everyone on it at once (not sure how useful that is, but if you open the buddy list using the quick links menu, you can do it), and to quickly spot which of your buddies is online (again, considering you could just scan the list of people online on the forum's main index page, still not sure how useful that is).

12. Dec 3, 2007 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I find it a bit easier to find out if there's a buddy on-line without having to actually read all of the names at the bottom. I just scan for +'s, then back up to read who they're for.

13. Dec 4, 2007 #12
    Ummm..I was looking real hard for those + signs but then I realized there isn't anyone on my buddy list. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?