Plus Sign in Names: What Does it Mean?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary: I just realized that some people's names are written as: "G01+" for example, and that means they're on my buddy list.When you add someone to your buddy list, it puts a plus sign next to their name.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What does it mean when a person has a plus sign after there name in the "currently online" list? I just realized that some people's names are written as:

"G01+"

Why would that plus sign be there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I finally found the legend for those symbols recently. It's at the very bottom left of the Who's Online page:

+ User is on your buddy list

What does the buddy list do?

Is the buddy relation symmetric?
If not, can you tell who has added you to their buddy lists?

Hmmmm. Apparently I have a buddy list...

You cannot tell who has added you to their buddy lists. The pluses mean you've added them to yours.

How did you manage to add people to your buddy list without knowing you had one? Oh, y'know what...the button to add people to your buddy list is just below the one to view other posts by that user, so it's possible you've added them accidentally while having bad aim with the mouse to view someone's posts.

Moonbear said:
You cannot tell who has added you to their buddy lists. The pluses mean you've added them to yours.

How did you manage to add people to your buddy list without knowing you had one? Oh, y'know what...the button to add people to your buddy list is just below the one to view other posts by that user, so it's possible you've added them accidentally while having bad aim with the mouse to view someone's posts.

Yeah.

That is very possible. I have been known to be inaccurate with my mouse clicks.

Anyway, I'll have to set up an actual buddy list now that I know I have one!

I tested the buddy list, it doesn't appear to do anything.

Evo said:
I tested the buddy list, it doesn't appear to do anything.

The only things I have ever found I could do with the buddy list were the ability to send a PM to everyone on it at once (not sure how useful that is, but if you open the buddy list using the quick links menu, you can do it), and to quickly spot which of your buddies is online (again, considering you could just scan the list of people online on the forum's main index page, still not sure how useful that is).

I find it a bit easier to find out if there's a buddy on-line without having to actually read all of the names at the bottom. I just scan for +'s, then back up to read who they're for.

Ummm..I was looking real hard for those + signs but then I realized there isn't anyone on my buddy list. :biggrin:

1. What does the plus sign in a name indicate?

The plus sign in a name typically indicates a user's affiliation with a certain group or organization. It is often used as a way to differentiate between individuals with similar names.

2. How is the plus sign used in usernames?

The plus sign is often used in usernames as a way to create a unique identifier. It can be used to add additional information, such as a middle name or a location, to a username without changing the primary username.

3. Are there any specific rules for using a plus sign in a name?

There are no specific rules for using a plus sign in a name, as it is typically a personal choice. However, some websites or platforms may have restrictions on the use of special characters in usernames.

4. Can a plus sign be used in email addresses?

Yes, a plus sign can be used in email addresses as part of the local-part (the part before the @ symbol). This is often used to create multiple email addresses for the same account, as emails sent to the address with the plus sign will still be delivered to the primary account.

5. Is the plus sign the only special character that can be used in names?

No, there are other special characters that can be used in names, such as underscores or periods. However, the plus sign is a commonly used special character in usernames and email addresses.