Uncovering Poe's Profoundly Mind-Bending Ideas: "Eureka

• Thread starter Cane_Toad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the conversation discusses the work of Edgar Allan Poe, specifically his essay "Eureka" and his contributions as a philosopher and scientist. The speaker expresses surprise at only being familiar with Poe's fiction works, and questions if his more serious writing is overshadowed. They also mention Poe's critique of literature and the creative process involved in storytelling. The conversation concludes with the speaker mentioning a previous reading of Poe's essay.
Cane_Toad
Has anyone read Poe's "Eureka"? I was amazed when I came across this:

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath522/kmath522.htm"

I still have to read his book, but it seems that Poe was an amazing philosopher/scientist in the grand old way, covering most of the disciplines of his time. I can't believe all I've ever heard about was "The Telltale Heart", "The Pit and the Pendulum", etc. What's the deal? Are his silly fiction stories overshadowing his good stuff, or is it just me? Do I need to go abuse my lit. teachers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I read that essay before, good stuff.

My favorite contribution of Poe is his devastating critique of literature. He points out that very often the only creative part of story writing is accomplished in the beginning, followed by long hours of uncreative toiling.

Once we set up the morphism between our world and the world in the story, 90% of the work consists in applying the morphism to elements in our world to "create" elements of the story world.

Sorry I don't have a link.

I am familiar with Edgar Allan Poe's work and his contributions to literature and philosophy. While many may only be familiar with his popular short stories, Poe also wrote extensively on topics such as science, cosmology, and philosophy. His work "Eureka" is a prime example of his deep thinking and exploration of the universe.

In "Eureka", Poe delves into the concept of the universe's creation and existence. He proposes a theory of a cyclical universe, where it expands and contracts in an eternal cycle. This idea was ahead of its time and has since been studied and debated by scientists and philosophers alike.

It is possible that Poe's more popular and sensational fiction stories have overshadowed his more profound ideas. However, it is also important to note that his fiction stories often contain elements of science and philosophy, which make them more thought-provoking and complex than they may initially seem.

I would encourage you to read "Eureka" and explore more of Poe's works beyond his famous short stories. He was a brilliant mind and his ideas are still relevant and influential today. As for your literature teachers, I would not say they need to be "abused", but perhaps they could have highlighted Poe's other works as well. Literature and science are often intertwined, and it is important to recognize and appreciate the contributions of writers like Poe to both fields.

1. What is the main idea behind Edgar Allan Poe's "Eureka"?

The main idea behind "Eureka" is that the universe is governed by a single force of matter and spirit, and that this force is constantly evolving and progressing towards a state of perfect unity.

2. How does "Eureka" challenge traditional scientific thinking?

"Eureka" challenges traditional scientific thinking by proposing a philosophical view of the universe rather than a strictly scientific one. It also rejects the idea of a finite and static universe, instead presenting the concept of an ever-expanding and evolving universe.

3. What is the significance of the title "Eureka"?

The word "Eureka" means "I have found it" in Greek, and it reflects the idea that Poe believed he had discovered the ultimate truth about the universe through his writing.

4. How does "Eureka" reflect Poe's personal beliefs and experiences?

Poe was deeply interested in philosophy and the nature of reality, and "Eureka" reflects his personal beliefs about the universe and his own search for truth and understanding. It also incorporates elements of his own struggles and experiences with mental illness.

5. What impact did "Eureka" have on the literary and scientific communities?

The impact of "Eureka" was largely overlooked during Poe's lifetime, but it has gained more recognition in recent years as a pioneering work of science fiction and a precursor to modern cosmology. It also sparked discussions and debates within both literary and scientific circles about the nature of the universe and the role of philosophy in understanding it.