Poincare-Bendixson in n-dimensions

• Thread starter motherh
  • Start date
In summary, the existence of a bounded 2D invariant manifold M with no critical points does not guarantee the presence of a periodic orbit in M. Additionally, chaos is not possible in a system in n dimensions, so even with the given conditions, chaos cannot occur.
motherh
Suppose that [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] = f(x) in [itex]\Re[/itex][itex]^{n}[/itex]. There exists a bounded 2D invariant manifold M for this system. There are no critical points in M. Does it follow that there is a periodic orbit in M?

I've realized that this has it's similarities to Poincare-Bendixon's theorem but I don't believe that it holds for a system in n dimensions. Would I be correct in thinking that even with the strict conditions above we could end up with chaos? If I am correct here, does anybody know of any counterexamples for the above statement? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
motherh said:
Suppose that [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] = f(x) in [itex]\Re[/itex][itex]^{n}[/itex]. There exists a bounded 2D invariant manifold M for this system. There are no critical points in M. Does it follow that there is a periodic orbit in M?

No, as for example if [itex]M = S^1 \times S^1[/itex] (the 2-torus) and the reduction of the system on [itex]M[/itex] is (after rescaling time)
[tex]
(\dot \theta_1, \dot \theta_2) = (1, \alpha)
[/tex]
with irrational [itex]\alpha[/itex]. All trajectories are then dense in [itex]M[/itex], and there are no periodic orbits.

I've realized that this has it's similarities to Poincare-Bendixon's theorem but I don't believe that it holds for a system in n dimensions. Would I be correct in thinking that even with the strict conditions above we could end up with chaos?

No: three dimensions are necessary for chaos, so the behaviour of the system on M cannot be chaotic.

1. What is Poincare-Bendixson in n-dimensions?

Poincare-Bendixson in n-dimensions is a mathematical theorem that proves the existence of periodic solutions for certain types of non-linear dynamical systems in n-dimensional space.

2. What are non-linear dynamical systems?

Non-linear dynamical systems are mathematical models that describe the behavior of complex systems, such as weather patterns, stock market fluctuations, and biological processes. These systems exhibit non-linear relationships between their inputs and outputs, making them difficult to analyze using traditional linear techniques.

3. How is Poincare-Bendixson in n-dimensions different from the 2-dimensional case?

In the 2-dimensional case, the Poincare-Bendixson theorem only guarantees the existence of a single periodic solution. In n-dimensions, however, the theorem guarantees the existence of multiple periodic solutions, which can lead to more complex and interesting behavior in the system.

4. What is the significance of Poincare-Bendixson in n-dimensions in scientific research?

Poincare-Bendixson in n-dimensions has applications in a wide range of fields, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering. It allows scientists to better understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, and can also be used to develop more accurate mathematical models for these systems.

5. Are there any limitations to Poincare-Bendixson in n-dimensions?

Yes, the theorem only applies to certain types of non-linear dynamical systems. Additionally, it does not provide explicit formulas for the periodic solutions, so additional techniques may be needed to find these solutions in practice.