1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poincare-Bendixson in n-dimensions

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    Suppose that [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] = f(x) in [itex]\Re[/itex][itex]^{n}[/itex]. There exists a bounded 2D invariant manifold M for this system. There are no critical points in M. Does it follow that there is a periodic orbit in M?

I've realized that this has it's similarities to Poincare-Bendixon's theorem but I don't believe that it holds for a system in n dimensions. Would I be correct in thinking that even with the strict conditions above we could end up with chaos? If I am correct here, does anybody know of any counterexamples for the above statement? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

No, as for example if [itex]M = S^1 \times S^1[/itex] (the 2-torus) and the reduction of the system on [itex]M[/itex] is (after rescaling time)
    [tex]
    (\dot \theta_1, \dot \theta_2) = (1, \alpha)
    [/tex]
    with irrational [itex]\alpha[/itex]. All trajectories are then dense in [itex]M[/itex], and there are no periodic orbits.

No: three dimensions are necessary for chaos, so the behaviour of the system on M cannot be chaotic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted