Poincaré disk: metric and isometric action

In summary, In this conversation, the discussants are trying to understand and verify the properties of symmetric spaces, particularly the Poincaré disk and its associated Riemannian metric. They discuss the notation used and try to convert it into a more familiar form. They also attempt to compute the derivative and show that the metric tensor is invariant, but run into difficulties with simplification.
Sajet
Hi!

I'm trying to give a few examples of symmetric manifolds. In the article "Introduction to Symmetric Spaces and Their Compactification" Lizhen Ji mentions the Poincaré disk as a symmetric space in the following way:

[itex]D = \{z \in \mathbb C | |z| < 1\}[/itex]

with metric

[itex]ds^2 = \frac{|dz|^2}{(1-|z|^2)^2}[/itex].

First question: I don't know this "ds²" notation and I wasn't able to figure out how to convert it into the more familiar notation [itex]g_p(x, y) = ...[/itex]. Is this possible? Last semester we defined a Riemannian metric on the Poincaré disk as follows:

[itex]g_p(x, y) = \frac{4\langle x, y\rangle}{(1-||p||^2)^2}[/itex]

Is this the same metric?

The second thing:

Ji says that the group

[itex]SU(1, 1) = \{\begin{pmatrix}a && b \\ \bar b && \bar a\end{pmatrix} | a, b \in \mathbb C, |a|^2-|b|^2 = 1\}[/itex]

acts isometrically and transitively on D by setting

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}a && b \\ \bar b && \bar a\end{pmatrix}z = \frac{az+b}{\bar b z+\bar a}[/itex]

But he doesn't prove this and instead says "This follows by a direct computation".

I would like to do this computation, and as I see this I need to show:

[itex]g_{Az}(A_*x, A_*y) = g_z(x, y)[/itex]

But then again I would need to know the metric explicitly and also unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to compute the derivative [itex]A_*x[/itex] for this group action :(

I would be very grateful for some help with this. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sajet said:
with metric

[itex]ds^2 = \frac{|dz|^2}{(1-|z|^2)^2}[/itex].

First question: I don't know this "ds²" notation and I wasn't able to figure out how to convert it into the more familiar notation [itex]g_p(x, y) = ...[/itex]. Is this possible? Last semester we defined a Riemannian metric on the Poincaré disk as follows:

[itex]g_p(x, y) = \frac{4\langle x, y\rangle}{(1-||p||^2)^2}[/itex]

Is this the same metric?

You should be able to show that, up to numerical factors, these are equivalent. Namely,

$$ds^2 = \frac{1}{4} g_z(dz,d\bar{z}).$$

The second thing:

Ji says that the group

[itex]SU(1, 1) = \{\begin{pmatrix}a && b \\ \bar b && \bar a\end{pmatrix} | a, b \in \mathbb C, |a|^2-|b|^2 = 1\}[/itex]

acts isometrically and transitively on D by setting

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}a && b \\ \bar b && \bar a\end{pmatrix}z = \frac{az+b}{\bar b z+\bar a}[/itex]

But he doesn't prove this and instead says "This follows by a direct computation".

I would like to do this computation, and as I see this I need to show:

[itex]g_{Az}(A_*x, A_*y) = g_z(x, y)[/itex]

But then again I would need to know the metric explicitly and also unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to compute the derivative [itex]A_*x[/itex] for this group action :(

I would be very grateful for some help with this. Thank you in advance!

If you verify that

$$ dz' = \frac{dz}{(\bar{b} z + \bar{a})^2}$$

(which is presumably related to your ##A_*##) and

$$ 1-|z'|^2 = \frac{1-|z|^2}{|\bar{b} z + \bar{a}|^2},$$

you can show that the metric tensor is invariant.

Thank you for your response. I'm sorry but I still couldn't figure this ds² notation out and I was hoping I could somehow get around it by using the other notation. So I tried the following:

[itex]g_p(x, y) = \frac{<x,y>}{(1-|p|^2)^2}[/itex]

which would be identical to Ji's definition of ds² according to what you said at the beginning.

I tried to calculate [itex]A_*x[/itex] using:

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}_{t=0} \frac{a\gamma(t)+b}{\bar b\gamma(t)+\bar a}[/itex]

for some curve [itex]\gamma(0) = p, \dot\gamma(0) = x[/itex] which gave me

[itex]\frac{|a|^2+|b|^2}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2}x = \frac{2|a|^2-1}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2} x[/itex] (since |a|²-|b|² = 1)

(Is this what the bottom of your post is referring to by dz'?)

Assuming this is correct, I would have to show:

[itex]\frac{<x, y>}{(1-|p|^2)^2} = g_{Ap}(A_*x, A*y) = \frac{<\frac{2|a|^2-1}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2}x, \frac{2|a|^2-1}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2}y>}{(1-|\frac{ap+b}{\bar b p+\bar a}|^2)^2}= (\frac{2|a|^2-1}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2})^2\frac{<x, y>}{(1-|\frac{ap+b}{\bar b p+\bar a}|^2)^2}[/itex]

But I don't get any further from here since I don't how to simplify [itex]|\frac{ap+b}{\bar b p+\bar a}|^2[/itex].

Is this even correct up to this point?

Sajet said:
Thank you for your response. I'm sorry but I still couldn't figure this ds² notation out and I was hoping I could somehow get around it by using the other notation. So I tried the following:

[itex]g_p(x, y) = \frac{<x,y>}{(1-|p|^2)^2}[/itex]

which would be identical to Ji's definition of ds² according to what you said at the beginning.

I tried to calculate [itex]A_*x[/itex] using:

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}_{t=0} \frac{a\gamma(t)+b}{\bar b\gamma(t)+\bar a}[/itex]

for some curve [itex]\gamma(0) = p, \dot\gamma(0) = x[/itex] which gave me

[itex]\frac{|a|^2+|b|^2}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2}x = \frac{2|a|^2-1}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2} x[/itex] (since |a|²-|b|² = 1)

(Is this what the bottom of your post is referring to by dz'?)

I find

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}_{t=0} \frac{a\gamma(t)+b}{\bar b\gamma(t)+\bar a}=\frac{|a|^2-|b|^2}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2}x[/tex]

This is essentially the same computation as for ##dz'##.

Assuming this is correct, I would have to show:

[itex]\frac{<x, y>}{(1-|p|^2)^2} = g_{Ap}(A_*x, A*y) = \frac{<\frac{2|a|^2-1}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2}x, \frac{2|a|^2-1}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2}y>}{(1-|\frac{ap+b}{\bar b p+\bar a}|^2)^2}= (\frac{2|a|^2-1}{(\bar b p+\bar a)^2})^2\frac{<x, y>}{(1-|\frac{ap+b}{\bar b p+\bar a}|^2)^2}[/itex]

But I don't get any further from here since I don't how to simplify [itex]|\frac{ap+b}{\bar b p+\bar a}|^2[/itex].

Is this even correct up to this point?

You haven't used the fact that the coordinates are complex, so presumably you should have ##(A_*x, A_*\bar{y})## or maybe ##(A_*x, A_*\bar{y})+(A_*\bar{x}, A_*y)## in the metric. With the appropriate expression, the factors cancel as in the computation I mentioned.

Last edited:
Thanks. You're right, I made a mistake in the first part. |a|² - |b|², and thus 1, is correct.

With regard to the second part, I'm not really used to complex manifolds... I thought, x and y were real since they are in the tangent space. Would it be possible to transfer the entire thing to real coordinates? Meaning

[itex]D = \{p \in \mathbb R^2 | |p| < 1\}[/itex]

and then take SO(1, +) (?) as the isometry group? Or would some mathematical insight be lost when doing that?

Or maybe I should just stick to a simpler example...

Sajet said:
Thanks. You're right, I made a mistake in the first part. |a|² - |b|², and thus 1, is correct.

With regard to the second part, I'm not really used to complex manifolds... I thought, x and y were real since they are in the tangent space. Would it be possible to transfer the entire thing to real coordinates? Meaning

[itex]D = \{p \in \mathbb R^2 | |p| < 1\}[/itex]

and then take SO(1, +) (?) as the isometry group? Or would some mathematical insight be lost when doing that?

Or maybe I should just stick to a simpler example...

In the real case, we have ##SL(2,\mathbb{R})##, which is isomorphic to ##SU(1,1)## and ##SO^+(1,2)##. However, the ##SO^+(1,2)## actually acts on coordinates ##(x_0,x_1,x_2)## which are constrained to lie on the hyperboloid

$$x_0^2 - x_1^2 -x_2^2=1$$

with ##x_0>0##.

I'm sure once the details are worked out, everything would fit together. But it's much simpler to use the complex coordinate.

Thanks for all your help! I haven't figured it out completely but I get the basic idea now and I'm sure I'll get there soon.

What is the Poincaré disk?

The Poincaré disk is a geometric model used to represent the hyperbolic plane. It was created by mathematician Henri Poincaré in the late 19th century.

What is the metric of the Poincaré disk?

The metric of the Poincaré disk is the hyperbolic metric, which is a non-Euclidean metric that allows for the measurement of angles and distances in the hyperbolic plane.

How does isometric action work in the Poincaré disk?

In the Poincaré disk, isometric action refers to the preservation of distances and angles when transforming points on the disk. This is achieved through a combination of translations, rotations, and reflections.

What are some applications of the Poincaré disk?

The Poincaré disk has been used in various fields such as physics, computer graphics, and even art. It is also used in the study of hyperbolic geometry and its applications in the real world.

How does the Poincaré disk differ from the Poincaré half-plane model?

Both the Poincaré disk and the Poincaré half-plane model are geometric models of the hyperbolic plane. However, the Poincaré disk is a conformal model, meaning that it preserves angles, while the Poincaré half-plane model is a boundary model, meaning that it is infinite and has a boundary at infinity.