Point charges hanging on a string

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the angle theta in a given scenario involving two charged balls hanging from strings. The suggested solution involves using equations for force and trigonometry to solve for the unknown variables. However, the diagram provided was too small to be of use in the discussion.
theneedtoknow

Homework Statement

What would be the angle theta as shown in the picture, if the 5 gram balls hangin off 1m strings have been charges to 100nC each

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5103/mooche.th.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to solve such a question, can i get a hint?
i know the force each one exerts on the other is kq1q2 / r^2 and i can find that the distance between them is 2sin(theta) so the force is kq1q2/(2sin(theta))^2
So for , say, the left ball, we have
Fx = Tsintheta - kq1q2/(2costheta)^2 = 0
Fy = tcostheta - mg = 0

but what can i do with those eqations really :S
I definitely am stuck and have no idea how to proceed for such a q

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't see the diagram - too small. Clicking on it doesn't work.
Check the Fx equation - looks like you copied the 2sin(theta) incorrectly.
Two equations, two unknowns (theta and T) - you should be all set. Solve the Fy equation for T and sub into the Fx one to get . . . a nasty bit of trigonometry. Well you could always solve it numerically - just graph the trig function on your calculator and trace to the value you want it to be, then read off the angle.

uestion. Any help is appreciated!

I would first start by identifying the variables and equations that are relevant to this problem. We have two charged balls, each with a charge of 100nC, hanging from strings that are 1m long. The force that each ball exerts on the other can be calculated using Coulomb's law: F = kq1q2/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges on the two balls, and r is the distance between them. We also have the force of gravity acting on each ball, which is equal to its weight, mg, where m is the mass of the ball and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Using these equations, we can set up a system of equations to solve for the angle theta. For example, for the left ball, we have the horizontal force equation: Fx = Tsin(theta) - kq1q2/(2cos(theta))^2 = 0, where T is the tension in the string. We also have the vertical force equation: Fy = Tcos(theta) - mg = 0. These two equations can be solved simultaneously to find the value of theta.

Another approach would be to use the concept of equilibrium. In order for the balls to remain stationary, the net force on each ball must be equal to zero. This means that the horizontal and vertical components of the forces must balance out. By setting up and solving equations for the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions, we can again find the value of theta.

Overall, the key to solving this problem is to carefully identify the relevant variables and equations, and then use mathematical techniques to solve for the unknown angle theta. I hope this helps!

1. What is a point charge hanging on a string?

A point charge hanging on a string refers to a physical model in which a single electric charge is suspended from a string or wire. This model is often used to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics and electric fields.

2. How is the electric field of a point charge hanging on a string calculated?

The electric field of a point charge hanging on a string can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the field is being measured.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a point charge hanging on a string?

The behavior of a point charge hanging on a string is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the length and tension of the string, and the presence of any external electric fields. Additionally, the behavior can also be affected by the orientation and position of the charge on the string.

4. What is the significance of a point charge hanging on a string in physics?

A point charge hanging on a string is a simple model that is often used to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics and electric fields. It helps in understanding the behavior of charged particles and the interactions between them, which is essential in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

5. Can a point charge hanging on a string be used to generate electricity?

No, a point charge hanging on a string cannot be used to generate electricity as it is a static model and does not involve any movement or flow of charges. However, this model can be used to demonstrate the concept of electric potential energy and how it can be converted into kinetic energy in practical applications such as electric generators.