Point charges in a square

In summary, the problem involves four identical positive charges forming a square and a fifth charge, q, placed at the center to achieve a net electric force of zero on the original four charges. The value of q can be found by solving Newton's second law.
kimlett
http://eastvan.bc.ca/~kim/phys.jpg

Four identical charges Q+ occupy the corners of a square with sides of length a. A fifth charge, q, can be placed at any desired location. Find the location of the fifth charge, and the value of q, such that the net electric force acting on the original four charges, Q+, is zero.

---

So, I don't know if I'm thinking this out right, but should the 5th charge be in the middle like that? And if so, should it be positive? Or would that just all fly apart, and it should be negative?

I know I should probably take the components and make them all equal to each other, but I wanted to make sure I started this question off right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes dude to symmetry it would be exactly in the center (and its a negative charge I assume you want to get the point charges in static equilibrium). Solve out Newton's second law to find the charge q in the center though.

thanks vsage
I'll try it out :)

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical charge that is concentrated at a single point in space. It is used in physics to simplify calculations involving electric fields and forces.

2. How are point charges arranged in a square?

In a square arrangement, point charges are placed at the corners of a square with equal distances between them. This creates a symmetrical electric field around the square.

3. What is the electric field at the center of a square of point charges?

The electric field at the center of a square of point charges is zero, as the electric fields from each charge cancel each other out due to the symmetry of the arrangement.

4. How does the electric potential differ at different points in a square of point charges?

The electric potential at each point in a square of point charges is different, as it depends on the distance to each charge and the magnitude of the charges. The potential is highest at the corners of the square and decreases towards the center.

5. Can point charges in a square exhibit net charge?

No, point charges in a square arrangement cannot exhibit net charge as the charges cancel each other out due to their equal magnitudes and opposite signs.