Calculating Angle ACB in a Circle Given Point B and Angle from Point A

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with recreating some functions missing from the public API of Google Earth. The problem involves finding the angle between the center of a circle and two points on its circumference, given the radius and distance between the points. The solution involves using the law of cosines to find the length of one side and then using another law of cosines to calculate the desired angle. One participant also suggests using the Math.Asin function to find the angle.
JonasB
Hello all,
sorry if this is a trivial question, or if it's been asked before, but I'm not good with math terminology so my googling doesn't give me much info.. I'm trying to work out a problem in order to recreate some functions that are missing from the public API of Google Earth. (If this is solved I'll post the results for the benefit of other GE users)

I have circle, with a known radius (center called C), and a point B outside a circle at a known distance. I also have a known angle from the point which projects at some point A on the circle's circumference. How can I calculate the angle ACB, i.e. the angle between the circle's center to B and the circle's center to A?

I (hope I've managed to) upload an image describing the problem.

Thanks a lot,
Jonas

Attachments

• Angle.gif
    Angle.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 524
Mathematics news on Phys.org
what do you mean by projects?

ice109 said:
what do you mean by projects?

I think he means a line that connects B to A.

In that case, from what I understand you know the length of CB(given) and CA(radius of the circle). You know the angle CBA(given) as well. Using law of cosines, you can find the length of the other side, BA. Then using law of cosines again, you can calculate the angle you need.

Sesse said:
I think he means a line that connects B to A.

In that case, from what I understand you know the length of CB(given) and CA(radius of the circle). You know the angle CBA(given) as well. Using law of cosines, you can find the length of the other side, BA. Then using law of cosines again, you can calculate the angle you need.
I found this:
Math.Asin(side2 * Math.Sin(angle1) / side1)
which, according to the description, should give me the CAB angle. I don't see why exactly, but I'm happy as long as it works. Thanks anyway!
/Jonas

1. What is a point outside a circle?

A point outside a circle is a point that is not located on the circumference of the circle.

2. How do you find the angle between a point outside a circle and the center of the circle?

To find the angle between a point outside a circle and the center of the circle, you can draw a line segment from the center of the circle to the point, and then use the tangent function to calculate the angle.

3. What is the relationship between the angle and the distance of a point outside a circle from the center of the circle?

The angle between a point outside a circle and the center of the circle is directly proportional to the distance of the point from the center. This means that the larger the distance, the larger the angle will be.

4. Can a point outside a circle have a negative angle with the center of the circle?

No, a point outside a circle cannot have a negative angle with the center of the circle. Angles are measured in a counterclockwise direction from the positive x-axis, so they can only range from 0 to 360 degrees.

5. How can the angle and distance of a point outside a circle be used to find the coordinates of the point?

Using the distance and angle, you can use trigonometric functions to find the coordinates of the point. For example, you can use the sine and cosine functions to find the x and y coordinates of the point, respectively.