Pointwise convergence of fourier expansion

In summary: Gibbs Phenomena, in which the Fourier representation always oscillates around a point of discontinuity -- just look at a square waveform in an oscilloscope -- you get a very good fit to most of the length of the horizontal segments except at the endpoints, where the approximation gives an up-and-down curve. You get a good RMS fit at the corners, and a lousy pointwise fit at the corners. (Note that there's an approximation scheme based on minimising the absolute error, |F(x) - f(x)| = |E(x)|, as well as |E(x)|**M, all of which gets you to various forms of Hilbert Space, in which "E(
hellfire
Science Advisor
I am reading in Wald "General Relativity" page 394, that the expansion of a scalar field over an orthonormal basis with creation and annihilation operators does not converge pointwise. What does this mean for a quantum field and what are the consequences of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have Wald handy, so here's a guess. Localizing a particle to a point in 1-particle quantum theory results in a singular wavefunction (a delta function), and, similarly, Localizing a quantum field to a point in spacetime results in a singular field.

In non-relativistic quantum theory, consider a particle on a 1-dimensional ring of circumference [itex]L[/itex]. This is like a particle in a 1-dimensional box, where the box has been bent around until the ends join. Because [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]x + nL[/itex] represent the same location on the ring for any integer [itex]n[/itex], the wavefunction satisfies the periodic boundary condition [itex]\psi \left( x + L \right) = \psi \left( x \right)[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex].

A particle localized to the point [itex]x = a[/itex] should have a wavefunction that looks something like [itex]\psi \left( x \right) = \delta \left( x - a \right)[/itex]. However, this doesn't satisfy the periodic boundary condition. A delta function is needed at [itex]a + nL[/itex] for each [itex]n[/itex], so

[tex]
\psi \left( x \right) = \sum^{\infty}_{n = -\infty} \delta \left( x - \left(a + nL \right) \right).
[/tex]

For simplicity take [itex]a = 0[/itex], and try and write [itex]\psi[/itex] as the Fourier expansion

[tex]
\psi \left( x \right) = \sum^{\infty}_{n = -\infty} c_{n} e^{i2\pi nx/L},
[/tex]

and solve formally for the Fourier coefficients [itex]c_{n}[/itex].

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
c_{n} &= \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \psi \left( x \right) e^{-i2\pi nx/L} dx\\
&= \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \delta \left( x \right) e^{-i2\pi nx/L} dx\\
&= \frac{1}{2\pi},
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

since only one of the delta functions is within the range of integration. Thus, the wavefunction for a particle localized at [itex]x = 0[/itex] is

[tex]
\psi \left( x \right) = \sum^{\infty}_{n = -\infty} \delta \left( x - nL \right) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sum^{\infty}_{n = -\infty} e^{i2\pi nx/L}.
[/tex]

The Fourier expansion for [itex]\psi[/itex] doesn't converge pointwise because [itex]\psi[/itex] is a (singular) distribution, not a function. The expansion does converge weakly, i.e., in the sense of tempered distributions.

In quantum field theory, at point [itex]x[/itex] in spacetime, the field is represented by an "operator" [itex]\Psi \left( x \right)[/itex] that is really an operator-valued distribution with, for states [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex], [itex]<f|\Psi \left( x \right)|g>[/itex] a distribution.

For my money, Chapter 9, Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime, from Sean Carroll's new GR book is the best introduction in print to Hawking radiation. Carroll doesn't concern himself with mathematical niceties like operator-valued distributions but does give a nice physics-style intro to things like Bogolubov transformations. If you do want to see the math done carefully, stick with Wald or Wald.

Regards,
George

This is an excelent answer and very clear, thank you!

Last edited:
Fourier series and integrals converge in the mean. That is, Fourier expansions are based on least squares regression: Minimize the mean squared error ---
E(x)= |F(x)-f(x)|**2
over the entire approximation domain, ie minimize Integral { E(x) }, where f(x) is the function, and F(x) is the approximation. This scheme, due to Gauss, is often called RMS, root mean square approximation.

Point-wise convergence means that lim (F(x)-f(x))-> for all x (as something goes to zero or infinity. F could be Sum (1 to N) [F0 +F1*x + FN x**N) as N-> infinity.

The issue of wave functions for a localized particle is not the only manifestation of convergence issues. For example, there's the Gibbs Phenomena, in which the Fourier representation always oscillates around a point of discontinuity -- just look at a square waveform in an oscilloscope -- you get a very good fit to most of the length of the horizontal segments except at the endpoints, where the approximation gives an up-and-down curve. You get a good RMS fit at the corners, and a lousy pointwise fit at the corners. (Note that there's an approximation scheme based on minimising the absolute error, |F(x) - f(x)| = |E(x)|, as well as |E(x)|**M, all of which gets you to various forms of Hilbert Space, in which "E(x)" is considered a coordinate difference . The Euclidean norm (squared) of |E(x)|**2, is the squared norm of the Hilbert Space used in QM. So, in a sense, quantum theory is based on regression, just like a lot of economics.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

reilly said:
Fourier series and integrals converge in the mean. ... The issue of wave functions for a localized particle is not the only manifestation of convergence issues.

This a very good point, which I decided to neglect when I answered hellfire's question. Hellfire asked specifically about quantum fields, and, using print.google.com, I saw that Wald p. 393 (access to p. 394 was restricted :frown:) talks about operators, so I answered in terms Fourier expansions of quantum field operators, which don't even converge in norm.

For example, there's the Gibbs Phenomena, in which the Fourier representation always oscillates around a point of discontinuity -- just look at a square waveform in an oscilloscope ... . You get a good RMS fit at the corners, and a lousy pointwise fit at the corners

I first ran into this when I learned in a high school electronic course that a square wave "equals"

sinx + (1/3)sin3x + (1/5) sin5x + ...

I decided to use a computer to graph the first n terms of the series for n = 1, 2, 3, ... . I was completely astonished and baffled by what I saw happening at the corners. It wasn't until university analysis classes that I really learned about different types of convergence, and it wasn't until even later that I read on my own about Gibb's phenomena.

Regards,
George

1. What is pointwise convergence of Fourier expansion?

Pointwise convergence of Fourier expansion refers to the property of a Fourier series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of sine and cosine functions, to converge to the original function at each point in the domain.

2. How is pointwise convergence different from other types of convergence?

Pointwise convergence is different from other types of convergence, such as uniform and mean convergence, because it focuses on the convergence of the function at individual points rather than as a whole. This means that the convergence may vary at different points in the domain.

3. What conditions are necessary for pointwise convergence of Fourier expansion?

In order for a Fourier series to have pointwise convergence, the function must be piecewise smooth and have a finite number of discontinuities in its domain. Additionally, the function must satisfy the Dirichlet conditions, which include having a finite number of extrema and bounded variation.

4. Can a function have pointwise convergence but not uniform convergence for its Fourier expansion?

Yes, a function can have pointwise convergence but not uniform convergence for its Fourier expansion. This occurs when the function has discontinuities or sharp corners in its domain, which can cause the convergence to differ at different points in the domain.

5. How is pointwise convergence of Fourier expansion used in practical applications?

Pointwise convergence of Fourier expansion is used in a variety of practical applications, such as signal processing, image compression, and solving differential equations. It allows for the accurate representation of a function using a finite number of terms in its Fourier series, which can be useful in approximating the behavior of a system or process.