Poisson's Equation: Solving for φ with ρ(x)

• I
  • Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
In summary, the equation can be written as ρ(x) = ρ(x,y,z) where ρ(x) is a function of the coordinate but is constant in y and z. This allows for the partial derivatives of y and z to be included in the solution. However, it is necessary to solve for the potential using a numerical method and to specify the boundary condition that the potential should vanish at infinity.
aaaa202
Poissons equation states that:

2φ = -ρ/ε

Now suppose that the charge density is actually only a function of one coordinate ρ = ρ(x) but constant in y and z. Is the problem then equivalent to solving:

d2φ/dx^2 = -ρ(x)/ε

or what will the effect of the partial derivatives of y and z be in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
No that's not generally true. Consider for example ##\rho(x) = x## then ##\varphi(\vec r) = -\frac{y^2}{2\epsilon}x## would be a solution.

To solve a problem like this can be quite complicated and depends on the boundary and initial conditions. You can learn how to solve boundary problems like this in a book/course about Fourier analysis.

Any charge, whatever its dependence on the coordinates may be, affects the potential at any point in space. The Poisson equation that you wrote is not a vector equation. So you cannot just take the x dependence on either side and say that they are equal. Each partial derivative on the left is related to the entire right hand side, and so is their sum.

Okay but I have a numerical problem where I am given ρ(x,y,z) = ρ(x). To solve for the electrostatic potential I then discretize ρ(x) on a grid of n points and approximate the second order derivative D = d2/dx2 as a matrix in the standard way using finite differences. I then calculate the electrostatic potential as:

φ = [d2/dx2]-1(-ρ/ε), where [d2/dx2]-1 is the inverted matrix of D written above.

Will this in general not give the correct solution? I guess not since, I am assuming that Poissons equation can be written as:

d2φ/dx2 = -ρ/ε

Is this an exercise? Maybe it should be in the exercise section then with all information provided. I don't know anything about numerical methods but if you assume the equation of that form doesn't mean you necessarily get a wrong solution. You simply only get a subset of all possible solutions. But imo the question doesn't make much sense without having boundary conditions.

The boundary condition is that the potential should vanish at infinity. It is not an exercise. Rather part of a script I am writing for solving Poissons equation.

Related to Poisson's Equation: Solving for φ with ρ(x)

What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the distribution of electric potential (φ) in a given region based on the charge density (ρ) at each point in that region.

How is Poisson's equation solved?

Poisson's equation is solved by finding the electric potential (φ) at each point in the region based on the known charge density (ρ) at that point and the boundary conditions of the system. This can be done using various mathematical methods, such as the finite element method or the finite difference method.

What is the relationship between φ and ρ in Poisson's equation?

φ and ρ are directly related in Poisson's equation, with φ representing the electric potential at a given point and ρ representing the charge density at that point. This relationship is described by the equation: ∇²φ = -ρ/ε₀, where ∇² is the Laplace operator and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

What are the units of measurement for φ and ρ in Poisson's equation?

In Poisson's equation, φ is measured in volts (V) and ρ is measured in coulombs per meter cubed (C/m³).

What are some real-world applications of Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation has many practical applications in various fields, including electrostatics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is used to model the behavior of electric fields in electronic circuits, the flow of fluids in pipes, and the distribution of electric potential in biological systems, among others.