Complex form of poisson equation

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with solving the complex form of the Poisson equation, which involves introducing complex permittivity and potential to account for energy loss due to conductivity. They are unsure about how to handle the complex charge density and are looking for guidance and resources on this topic.
fnsaceleanu
Hi,

I am trying to solve the complex form of poisson equation ∇[ε(x)∇V(x)] = -1/εo ρ(x)
with complex permittivity.

If I introduce complex permittivity ε = εr - j σ/(εow), then I must introduce a complex potential ,V = Vr + jVi.
That means the charge density, ρ, must also take a complex form, but I'm not sure what to make of that.

For my boundary conditions, I have the real part of the voltage measured from the oscilloscope, and the real charge density I compute through the conservation equations.

Any help on this topic? I can't find much on this on internet.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It's great that you are working on solving the complex form of the Poisson equation. This type of problem can be quite challenging, but with the right approach, it can be solved successfully.

Firstly, it is important to note that the complex permittivity and potential are introduced in order to account for the imaginary part of the permittivity, which represents the loss of energy due to conductivity. This means that the charge density will also have a complex form in order to accurately represent the loss of energy in the system.

When it comes to boundary conditions, it is important to use the real part of the voltage measured from the oscilloscope, as this is the physical quantity that is being measured. However, for the charge density, it would be more accurate to use the complex form, as it takes into account the loss of energy in the system.

I understand that there may not be a lot of information available on this topic, but I would suggest consulting with other scientists or researchers who have experience in solving similar complex equations. They may be able to offer valuable insights and guidance.

I wish you all the best in your research and I hope you are able to successfully solve the complex form of the Poisson equation. Keep up the great work!

1. What is the complex form of Poisson's equation?

The complex form of Poisson's equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the electric potential and charge distribution in a system. It is given by the equation ∇²ψ = -ρ/ε₀, where ∇² is the Laplace operator, ψ is the electric potential, ρ is the charge density, and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

2. How is the complex form of Poisson's equation different from the standard form?

The complex form of Poisson's equation includes the use of complex numbers, while the standard form does not. This allows for a more comprehensive representation of the electric potential and charge distribution in a system, especially in cases where there are time-varying or oscillating electric fields.

3. What are the applications of the complex form of Poisson's equation?

The complex form of Poisson's equation has various applications in different fields such as electromagnetics, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is commonly used in the analysis and design of electrical circuits, antennas, and other electromagnetic devices. It is also used in the study of quantum systems and the behavior of fluids.

4. How is the complex form of Poisson's equation solved?

The complex form of Poisson's equation is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, due to its complexity. These methods involve dividing the problem into smaller elements and using iterative processes to approximate the solution.

5. What are the limitations of the complex form of Poisson's equation?

The complex form of Poisson's equation assumes a linear relationship between the electric potential and charge distribution, which may not always hold true in some systems. It also does not take into account relativistic effects, making it unsuitable for systems involving high speeds or energies. Additionally, it does not consider the effects of magnetic fields, which may be significant in certain applications.