How do I find the center of mass using polar coordinates?

• Thread starter vadar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, the problem discussed is finding the center of mass of a semicircular plate with constant density using polar coordinates. The regions for the double integral are the angle from 0 to π and the radius from 0 to a. The dA part of the integral becomes r dr dθ and the coordinates to the center of mass are obtained by integrating rcosθ and rsinθ.
vadar
Help! I've been trying to do this for ages, but i know there's some silly little thing I am doing wrong!
Problem, Find the center of mass of a constant density semicircular plate of radius a, using polar co-ordinates, what regions do i use for the double intergral with respect to r and θ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle [tex]\theta[/tex] from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex], and the radius from 0 to a.

The dA part of the double integration becomes [tex]r dr d \theta[/tex]

You assume uniform density, so you just intgrating [tex]r\cos\theta[/tex] and [tex]r\sin\theta[/tex] to get the coordinates to the centre of mass.

Don't worry, finding the center of mass using polar coordinates can be tricky at first. The first thing you need to do is set up the double integral for the center of mass formula, which is ∫∫rρ(r,θ)dA, where r represents the distance from the origin and ρ(r,θ) represents the density function.

In this case, since the plate has a constant density, ρ(r,θ) will just be a constant. Now, for the bounds of the integral, you will need to consider the semicircular region in polar coordinates. This means that r will go from 0 to a, and θ will go from 0 to π/2.

To visualize this, think of the semicircular plate as a pizza slice, with the curved edge being the arc of the circle and the straight edge being the diameter. The radius, r, will vary from 0 to the length of the radius of the circle, which is a. And the angle, θ, will vary from 0 to π/2, which is half of the full circle.

So, your double integral will look something like this:

∫0π/2 ∫0a rρ(r,θ)drdθ

Make sure to check your work and plug in the correct bounds for r and θ, as well as the correct expression for ρ(r,θ). I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

Related to How do I find the center of mass using polar coordinates?

What is a polar coordinate integral?

A polar coordinate integral is a method of calculating the area under a polar curve. It involves converting the polar coordinates into rectangular coordinates and using the standard rectangular integration techniques.

When is a polar coordinate integral used?

A polar coordinate integral is used when the region of integration is best described in polar coordinates, such as circular or spiral shapes.

How is a polar coordinate integral calculated?

A polar coordinate integral is calculated by converting the equation in polar form to rectangular form, setting up the integral in terms of x and y, and then evaluating the integral using standard integration techniques.

What are the limits of integration in a polar coordinate integral?

The limits of integration in a polar coordinate integral are determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated. These boundaries are typically described in terms of the polar angle, theta.

Are there any special considerations when using a polar coordinate integral?

Yes, when using a polar coordinate integral, it is important to consider the symmetry of the polar curve. This can help simplify the integration process and may result in a more efficient calculation.