Polar coordinates: e_r and e_theta

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the quantities e_r, e_theta, and point P as r and \theta vary. It is noted that as r changes, e_r and e_theta change place, while as \theta changes, they do not. The missing information is that as r changes, \theta also changes at the same rate. This is illustrated through an example using vector functions.
sara_87
1. Homework Statement [/b]

Let e_r=(cos[tex]\theta[/tex],sin[tex]\theta[/tex]) and e_theta=(-sin[tex]\theta[/tex],cos[tex]\theta[/tex]).
Let P(r,[tex]\theta[/tex]) be a point with e_r and e_theta at that point.
What can you say about the three quantities (e_r, e_theta and the point P) as r and [tex]\theta[/tex] vary?

Homework Equations

r: distance from origin
[tex]\theta[/tex]: angle

The Attempt at a Solution

As r moves around, the e_r and e_theta change place. As r increases or decreases e_r and e_theta don't change place but as theta changes, they do change place since e_theta is always orthogonal to point P.

I feel like I'm not putting enough information. Is there something i didn't mention?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes there is some information missing. You have to note that as r changes, [tex]\theta[/tex] changes with the rate that r changes, because [tex]e_{\theta}[/tex] is the derivative of [tex]e_{r}[/tex]

What do you mean, I don't understand why.

Ok, starting with a (position) vector function, (I will use the cartesian coordinate system to make things appear obvious) let's say [tex]v=t^{2}i+2tj[/tex] The derivative is [tex]v'=2ti+2j[/tex]. Then how does [tex]v[/tex] vary with [tex]v'[/tex]? Since [tex]v'[/tex] is the derivative of [tex]v[/tex], then [tex]v'[/tex] must vary with [tex]v[/tex]'s rate of change. Looking at your position functions, [tex]-\sin{(\theta)}[/tex] is the derivative of [tex]\cos{(\theta)}[/tex]. Likewise for [tex]sin{(\theta)}[/tex] and [tex]cos{(\theta)}[/tex]

Oh right, i see.
Thank you

FAQ: Polar coordinates: e_r and e_theta

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a two-dimensional coordinate system used to locate points in a plane by specifying the distance from a fixed point (called the pole) and the angle from a fixed line (called the polar axis).

2. What is er in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, er is the unit vector that points in the radial direction, from the pole to the point being described. It is also known as the radial unit vector.

3. What is etheta in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, etheta is the unit vector that points in the tangential direction, perpendicular to er and along the direction of increasing angle from the polar axis. It is also known as the azimuthal unit vector.

4. How are er and etheta related in polar coordinates?

These two unit vectors are always perpendicular to each other, and together they form a basis for the polar coordinate system. This means that any point in the plane can be uniquely described by its radial distance and azimuthal angle, using er and etheta.

5. How are polar coordinates converted to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, we use the following equations: x = r cos(theta) and y = r sin(theta), where r is the radial distance and theta is the azimuthal angle. This allows us to plot points in the plane using the familiar x-y coordinate system.

Back