Polar coordinates, sign ambiguity

In summary: He states that the arctangent function is not a good choice, because one has to adjust the angle by hand, corresponding to the quadrant, where his position vector is located. A more handy formula is the sign-function y-arccos. Then the tangent vectors are (cos θ,sin θ), (-sin θ,cos θ), (0,cos θ), (π/2,sin θ), and (1,cos θ).
PFuser1232
The position of a point in cartesian coordinates is given by:
$$\vec{r} = x \hat{\imath} + y \hat{\jmath}$$
In polar coordinates, it is given by:
$$\vec{r} = r \hat{r}$$
Now, ##x = r \cos{θ}## and ##y = r \sin{θ}## assuming ##θ## is measured counterclockwise from the ##x##-axis.
Equating the two expressions we obtain:
$$\hat{r} = \hat{\imath} \cos{θ} + \hat{\jmath} \sin{θ}$$
Let's say ##\hat{θ} = A \hat{\imath} + B \hat{\jmath}##
We know that:
$$\hat{r} ⋅ \hat{θ} = A\cos{θ} + B\sin{θ} = 0$$
And
$$A^2 + B^2 = 1$$
Since ##A = -B \tan{θ}##:
$$B^2 \tan^2{θ} + B^2 = 1$$
$$B^2 = \cos^2{θ}$$
$$B = \pm \cos{θ}$$
And
$$A = \mp \sin{θ}$$
Therefore:
$$\hat{θ} = \mp \sin{θ} \hat{\imath} \pm \cos{θ} \hat{\jmath}$$
On what basis do we choose the correct direction for the tangential unit vector?

Science news on Phys.org
We choose it so that the cross product is positive.

To use the arctan formula is not a good idea. You have to adjust the angle by hand, corresponding to the quadrant, where your position vector is located. A more handy formula is
$$\theta=\mathrm{sign}\,y \arccos \left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} \right).$$
Then ##\theta \in (-\pi,\pi]##.

DaleSpam said:
We choose it so that the cross product is positive.

That is, ##\hat{r} × \hat{θ} = \hat{k}##, right?

vanhees71 said:
To use the arctan formula is not a good idea. You have to adjust the angle by hand, corresponding to the quadrant, where your position vector is located. A more handy formula is
$$\theta=\mathrm{sign}\,y \arccos \left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} \right).$$
Then ##\theta \in (-\pi,\pi]##.

Where have I used the arctangent function?

Ah, I misunderstood the question. The point is of course, that you choose the vectors of a curvilinear coordinate system ##(q_1,q_2)## as tangents to the coordinate lines. In the case that these are orthogonal coordinates, one usually also normalizes them. In your case you have ##q_1=r## and ##q_2=\theta##. The relation to Cartesian coordinates is, as you write
$$\vec{r}=r \cos \theta \hat{i} + r \sin \theta \hat{j}.$$
Then the tangent vectors are
$$\vec{T}_r=\partial_r \vec{r}=\cos \theta \hat{i} + \sin \theta \hat{j},$$
$$\vec{T}_{\theta} = \partial_{\theta} \vec{r} = -r \sin \theta \hat{i} + r \cos \theta \hat{j}.$$
Obviously ##\vec{T}_r \cdot \vec{T}_{\theta}=0##, i.e., we have orthogonal coordinates. Thus one uses the normalized basis vectors
$$\hat{r}=\vec{T}_r/|\vec{T}_r|=\vec{T}_r=\cos \theta \hat{i} + \sin \theta \hat{j},$$
$$\hat{\theta}=\vec{T}_{\theta}/|\vec{T}_{\theta}|=\vec{T}_{\theta}/r = -\sin \theta \hat{i} + \cos \theta \hat{j}.$$
A cross product doesn't make too much sense in the planar case. Also one chooses always the vectors in direction of the tangent vectors to the coordinate lines.

For an orientation preserving transformation from Cartesian to curvilinear coordinates you have to make the order of the curvilinear coordinates such that the Jacobian of the transformation is positive. In the case of polar coordinates, the order ##(r,\theta)## is right, because
$$\mathrm{det} \frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(r,\theta)}=\mathrm{det} \begin{pmatrix}
\cos \theta & \sin \theta ,\\
-r \sin \theta & \cos \theta
\end{pmatrix}=r>0.$$

Just draw a diagram and you will see that when θ=0, θ hat = j, and when θ=π/2, θ hat = -i.

Chet

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a two-dimensional coordinate system that uses a distance and angle to locate a point on a plane. The distance, known as the radial coordinate, is measured from a fixed origin, and the angle, known as the angular coordinate, is measured from a fixed reference direction.

2. How is the sign ambiguity in polar coordinates resolved?

The sign ambiguity in polar coordinates refers to the fact that a given point can have two possible polar coordinates, depending on which direction the angle is measured from. This ambiguity is resolved by using a convention that specifies which direction is considered positive.

3. What is the convention for sign ambiguity in polar coordinates?

The most commonly used convention for sign ambiguity in polar coordinates is the counterclockwise convention, where angles are measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. This convention is used in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. Are there any other conventions for sign ambiguity in polar coordinates?

Yes, there is another convention called the clockwise convention, where angles are measured clockwise from the positive x-axis. This convention is used in some fields, such as navigation and polar mapping.

5. Can sign ambiguity cause problems in calculations using polar coordinates?

Yes, sign ambiguity can cause problems in calculations if the convention is not specified or if different conventions are used in different parts of a calculation. It is important to be consistent with the chosen convention to avoid errors in calculations using polar coordinates.