Polar Integration: Find Out Which Form is Correct & Can it be Area Integration?

In summary: ∫∫f(r) drdθ would be the integral over the entire circular plate, while ∫∫f(r) rdrdθ would be the integral over the region within the circular plate that includes the point (r,θ).
ruzfactor
Hi

I have a function [e.g. f(r)] which I want to integrate over r and θ. What would be the integration form? Which one is correct?

∫∫f(r) drdθ OR ∫∫f(r) rdrdθ

Please explain. Also, can it be said as area integration as well like the one in cartesian coordinate?

Physics news on Phys.org
it depends what you mean by integrating over r and theta. Taken at face value, that just means drdθ. But if you mean that you want to integrate over an area using polar coordinates then it's rdrdθ. The reason is that you can carve up an area into small annular sectors, each running over a range of r to r+dr and θ to θ+dθ. The dimensions of such an area element are dr by rdθ, and approximate a rectangle, so the area of the element is rdrdθ.

Thanks. I have a function of r. For example at theta=0, the value of the function have different value at different r values (e.g. r=0 to r=a). I want to evaluate this function over 2∏. So I thought first integrating the function about r and then theta. That is where I am confused, whether to use ∫∫f(r) drdθ or ∫∫f(r) rdrdθ. Please see the attachment where my problem is explained in a pic.

Also, I thought conversion from cartesian coordinate (dxdy) using jacobian makes it rdrdθ in polar coordinate.

Attachments

• mode shape.jpg
    mode shape.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 467
Clearly you are trying to integrate over an area, so rdrdθ is the correct form.
The Jacobian arises from coordinate transformations where the two coordinate systems describe the same region. In Cartesian, an element of area is dxdy; in polar it is rdrdθ.

In any double integration problem, you can usually start with either. In this situation, you'd be better off starting with the integration of the radius first then integrating with respect to theta.

zmp3 said:
In any double integration problem, you can usually start with either. In this situation, you'd be better off starting with the integration of the radius first then integrating with respect to theta.

The OP was not trying to choose between drdθ and dθdr, but between drdθ and rdrdθ.

If your problem is just "given [itex]f(r,\theta)[/itex], integrate it", then you would have [itex]\int\int f(r, \theta)drd\theta[/itex]. If, however, the problem is "given [itex]f(r,\theta)[/itex], integrate over a given area in the plane", then you would have [itex]\int\int f(r,\theta) r drd\theta[/itex] because "[itex]rdrd\theta[/itex]" is the "differential of area" in polar coordinates. In particular, if you are converting [itex]\int\int f(x,y) dxdy[/itex] to polar coordinates, because dxdy is the "differential of area" in Cartesian coordinates, it would become [itex]\int\int f(r,\theta)r drd\theta[/itex].

Thanks. Actually the problem says that, integrate f(r,θ) in radial and circumferential direction. So it is a bit confusing. I guess rdrdθ could be used depending on my problem.

Here, the function f(r,θ) is the mode shape function of a circular plate.

1) What is polar integration?

Polar integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve in polar coordinates. It involves converting a function in Cartesian coordinates into an equivalent function in polar coordinates and then integrating over the desired region.

2) How do I know which form of polar integration is correct?

The form of polar integration that is correct depends on the function being integrated and the region of integration. Generally, if the function has a simple form such as a circle or a sector of a circle, then the area integration form is appropriate. If the function is more complex, such as a cardioid or a limaçon, then the line integration form is typically used.

3) Can I use polar integration for finding the area under any curve?

No, polar integration is only applicable to functions that can be expressed in polar coordinates. If the function cannot be easily converted into polar form, then another method of integration, such as using Cartesian coordinates, may be more appropriate.

4) What are the steps for using polar integration to find area?

The steps for using polar integration to find area are as follows: 1) Identify the region of integration and sketch it, 2) Determine the limits of integration for both r and θ, 3) Write the function in polar form, 4) Apply the appropriate form of polar integration (area or line), 5) Evaluate the integral using the given limits, and 6) Interpret the result as the area under the curve in polar coordinates.

5) Is there a shortcut for finding the area using polar integration?

Yes, there is a shortcut known as the polar area formula, which states that the area of a polar region bounded by a curve r = f(θ) and two values of θ is equal to (1/2)∫ba (f(θ))2 dθ, where a and b are the values of θ that correspond to the boundaries of the region of integration. This formula can be used when the function can be easily expressed in polar form and the region of integration is simple, such as a circle or a sector of a circle.