Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarizers spectrum selectivity

1. Apr 18, 2007 #1
    I read that of what comes out of a polarized filter at 0° if we put one at 45° the output is 85% of the remainings photons.

My questions are:

1) what is the selectivity curve of the polarizers versus the light spectrum ???

2) is the output coming out from the second filter depend on the light frequency ???

3) the quantum formalism (that I ignore) does take into account the spectrum selectivity of the filters ????

4) the same arrengement of two filters in a row one at 0° and one at 45°
    using very different two monocromatic light would give the same results ???

Thanks in advance,

best regards

beda pietanza
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, at 45° the output is closer to 50%. The formula for photons is usually given as cos^2(theta).

As you suspect, there is a frequency range for polarizers, usually indicated by a stated wavelength. However, for commercial/experimental quality polarizers you aren't going to see any significant difference in performance across its rated range. For example, a linear polarizer for visible light might be rated from 300nm to 800nm (which is the entire visible spectrum, approx 400nm to 700nm).

If you have some specific questions about performance of optical components, I might suggest you register with the following site (it's free) and look around. I think it will help you to get a better idea of what is out there.

Global Spec Optical Components
  4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    thanks for the link,
    my questions are generated from the sensation that all quantum weirdness may be the results of a combined aliatory outputs of filters or detectors or the aliatory nature of photons.

best regards

beda pietanza
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?