1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pole in complex analysis

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    If a complex function has the form:

f(z) = g(z)/(z-a)n then z=a is a pole of order n. I don't really understand all this fancy terminology. Isn't a pole just like when you for a real valued function g(x)/(x-a) don't want to divide by 0 and therefore the function is defined at x=a? If so what is then all this talk about a pole of order n, and how does poles at different orders distinguish from each other? Since you are classifying poles by order, my understanding of a pole as simply a point on which f is not defined is probably wrong or at least lacking something.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2

Pzi

Are you familiar with zeros of higher order?
    If z=a is a zero of n-th order for a function 1/f(z) , then z=a is a pole of n-th order for a function f(z). Those two are related like that.

4. May 2, 2012 #3
    Yes okay, but what is the idea of classifying the order of a zero? Surely (z-a)^n is zero for a=z no matter what n. I don't see how n can ever change the properties of the zero?

5. May 2, 2012 #4

Pzi

It tells how "powerful" the zero is.
    Technically I'd say that for F(z)=(z-a)^n we have a zero of n-th order z=a because n-th derivative of F(z) at z=a is no longer equal to zero...
    This works for all finite arguments.

How would you evaluate what is the order of zero z=0 for the function G(z)=sin(z) ?

You should not look for too much meaningfulness in the definition, but realizing such orders is quite an important thing in complex analysis.

6. May 2, 2012 #5
    Well, the order of a pole to a function is significant for its Laurent expansion (Taylor series with 1/(z-a)^n terms in it). This is important when you apply the residue theorem (a nice way to calculate integrals you never could do before).
    And to elaborate a little on Pzi's post, you can calculate how "much zero" a function f is (or the order of the pole of 1/f) by computing its derivatives at a point. A double root means that you have f=f'=0, triple root f=f'=f''=0 and so on. Some functions have poles of infinite order, such a point to a function is called an essential singularity (like log z in the origin).

7. May 2, 2012 #6
    log(z) has an algebraic branch point of infinite order at the origin. That's not an essential singularity. The function [itex]e^{1/z}[/itex] has an essential singularity at the origin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook