What is a Pole of Order n in Complex Analysis?

In summary, a pole of order n for a complex function f(z) is when f(z) can be written as g(z)/(z-a)^n, meaning z=a is a point where the function is undefined and the higher the order n, the "more powerful" the pole is. This concept is important in complex analysis for calculating integrals using the residue theorem. Similarly, for a function 1/f(z), a zero of order n is when f(z) can be written as (z-a)^n, and the order of the zero can be determined by computing derivatives at the point a. Some functions may have poles of infinite order, known as essential singularities.
aaaa202
If a complex function has the form:

f(z) = g(z)/(z-a)n then z=a is a pole of order n. I don't really understand all this fancy terminology. Isn't a pole just like when you for a real valued function g(x)/(x-a) don't want to divide by 0 and therefore the function is defined at x=a? If so what is then all this talk about a pole of order n, and how does poles at different orders distinguish from each other? Since you are classifying poles by order, my understanding of a pole as simply a point on which f is not defined is probably wrong or at least lacking something.

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
If a complex function has the form:

f(z) = g(z)/(z-a)n then z=a is a pole of order n. I don't really understand all this fancy terminology. Isn't a pole just like when you for a real valued function g(x)/(x-a) don't want to divide by 0 and therefore the function is defined at x=a? If so what is then all this talk about a pole of order n, and how does poles at different orders distinguish from each other? Since you are classifying poles by order, my understanding of a pole as simply a point on which f is not defined is probably wrong or at least lacking something.

Are you familiar with zeros of higher order?
If z=a is a zero of n-th order for a function 1/f(z) , then z=a is a pole of n-th order for a function f(z). Those two are related like that.

Yes okay, but what is the idea of classifying the order of a zero? Surely (z-a)^n is zero for a=z no matter what n. I don't see how n can ever change the properties of the zero?

aaaa202 said:
Yes okay, but what is the idea of classifying the order of a zero? Surely (z-a)^n is zero for a=z no matter what n. I don't see how n can ever change the properties of the zero?

It tells how "powerful" the zero is.
Technically I'd say that for F(z)=(z-a)^n we have a zero of n-th order z=a because n-th derivative of F(z) at z=a is no longer equal to zero...
This works for all finite arguments.

How would you evaluate what is the order of zero z=0 for the function G(z)=sin(z) ?

You should not look for too much meaningfulness in the definition, but realizing such orders is quite an important thing in complex analysis.

Well, the order of a pole to a function is significant for its Laurent expansion (Taylor series with 1/(z-a)^n terms in it). This is important when you apply the residue theorem (a nice way to calculate integrals you never could do before).
And to elaborate a little on Pzi's post, you can calculate how "much zero" a function f is (or the order of the pole of 1/f) by computing its derivatives at a point. A double root means that you have f=f'=0, triple root f=f'=f''=0 and so on. Some functions have poles of infinite order, such a point to a function is called an essential singularity (like log z in the origin).

log(z) has an algebraic branch point of infinite order at the origin. That's not an essential singularity. The function [itex]e^{1/z}[/itex] has an essential singularity at the origin.

What is a pole in complex analysis?

A pole in complex analysis is a singularity of a complex-valued function in the complex plane. It is a point where the function becomes infinite or undefined.

How do you identify a pole in a complex function?

A pole is identified by looking at the denominator of a complex function. If the denominator is equal to zero at a certain point, then that point is a pole.

What is the difference between a pole and a removable singularity?

A removable singularity is a point where a function is not defined but can be made continuous by assigning a value to that point. A pole, on the other hand, cannot be made continuous at that point.

Can a function have more than one pole?

Yes, a function can have multiple poles. The number of poles of a function is equal to the degree of the denominator of the function.

What is the significance of poles in complex analysis?

Poles play an important role in the study of complex functions, as they can help in determining the behavior of a function near that point. They also help in the computation of residues, which are used in the evaluation of complex integrals.